Kit Advice Needed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KingSaeward

Jan 25, 2012
Essex
Hello all!

In a few weeks me and a mate are going to either Dartmoor, the Lake District or Scotland (we need to decide this weekend) and I would just like a bit of advice about my kit.

Usually I camp alone and never go for more than one night but we are planning a five day trip. Thing is, in the past I've always packed way too much stuff so Im trying to cut down to the bare essentials, espeically if Im going to have this pack on for more than three days.

So, here comes the dreaded list of stuff I've currently got.

50l Racksack
Starlight IV Sleeping bag (says its +5 to -18.)
DD basic hammock
DPM basha
Compact knife sharpener
Gerber pen knife
Square squidgy US style water canteen
Cheapy cook set
Hex burner
Hobo fishing kit
Cheapy fold out hand saw
Spare socks and skiddies
A few spare T-shirts
Waterproofs
Toothbrush, Mouth wash and baby wipes.
Chargers, torches and spare batteries in me chest rig.

I still need to get some paracord, two decent bungees, some spare thermals and some gaffa tape and cable ties. The only problem is lack of space for spare trousers and jumpers. Im pretty sure with my waterproofs it wont be a problem tho...will it?

Oh and food will probably have to go in a shoulder bag as I literally have no space left in my main pack.

I do have two big bergans Im not using but Im pretty sure I dont want to take them as I just end up filling any space. The problem is I guess the weather could go either way. Do you guys reckon this is enough equipment or should I pack a little heavier?

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
I used to take everything plus the kitcehn sink, the best way to look at it is. Will you need it? i.e. sleeping bag, tarp etc, or would you like it? i.e. axe, saw?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Do you really need a hobo fishing kit. Hand line fishing is illegal in the uk. If your caught using it you could be prosecuted for poaching.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Do you have a first aid kit? the toothbrush and mouthwash seem a little excessive.
If you definately wanted to fish, perhaps a lidl collapsible rod.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Things I'd add would include;
A groundsheet if you are sleeping on the ground.
A roll mat - foam or self inflating - you'll need it both in a hammock or on the ground
FAK

... and stuff I'd think about leaving behind would be;
Mouthwash
Chargers - will there really be somewhere to do that sort of thing
Fishing kit - as mentioned above
Sharpener - sharpen your knife before you go and strop it on your trouser belt if it needs it.
Folding saw - if you're using a hobo stove, do you really need to process large pieces of wood?
Gaffa tape & cable ties - if you think you will need to repair your gear, it sounds like you don't trust it to work at all!

When you get back, sort your gear into three piles, stuff you used, stuff you didn't and emergency kit - if the same stuff appears in the "unused" pile regularly, you don't need to carry it!

ATB

Ogri the trog

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Good advice. One thing I would add. Do you need several spare t shirts? Presumably they are of cotton? Ditch them and take some insulation be it fleece or wool or pertex/pile.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Have you got a spoon to eat with?
Mug to drink a hot brew from?

Regarding clothing, if you're moving around during the day then have one set for that, which will get damp and be unpleasant to put on in the morning, and a dry set to sleep in. You might want to think about a small towel too

A survival blanket would be a good addition. Most of all, have a contingency plan if it gets really bad - we don't want to be hearing about you on the news

Thanks guys for all your ideas!

Thanks for letting us know about about the fishing, I didn't actually realise fishing without a rod was illegal. It was only a small thought for something to do.

I will include some eating utensils before I leave and a cup, thanks for reminding me Spandit lol. Treadlightly thats not a bad idea about T-shirts as they are pretty useless as insulation - we sell thermals where I work so Il buy a few at a discout, cheers for that idea matey!

I may leave the hammock behind, mainly because I didn't think too much about how much heat is lost through the bottom to the airflow. Having said that I may just use it as something to sit about in and read. First aid kit will go on my belt. I may end up having to take a tent though as I think my mate will pussy out of buying and using a basha.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE