kilts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
My mother's maiden name was Noble and her mother's maiden name was Farley. But that family has lived in the new world since before the '45, so I guess that won't count (but we're not Native Americans!!!!!).

I wore a kilt in my wedding, mainly because I met my wife doing Scottish Country Dancing, which has a large following in the Washington, D.C. area. I had three or four kilts during that period of my life and the best ones were military issue. Of those, the most interesting was an ex-London Scottish in Hodden grey, which doesn't look at all grey to me.

I had always meant to try one out in the woods but never did.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Good stuff, Bluetrain. The military kilts are noticeably heavier. I wore a Gordon kilt when in the OTC and it was far heavier than my civilian one.

I know a few Farleys here in Scotland.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
My real name is Quesenberry. The first one came to Virginia sometime around 1650, give or take a few years. It must have been something to do with opportunity or war or something. Anyhow, they never left. In my direct line, I am the first one not born in the same county my father was born in since before 1800.

The family changed its name slightly a few times after arriving here, though I doubt you would say it was being Americanized but rather Anglicized in fact. The family had only been in England a couple of generations, having come from Northern Germany where it had been Questenburg and before that, Van Questenburg. Or so I understand. Then it became Questenbury, and then Quesenbury. Even now, not everyone in the family spells it the same way.

My wife's maiden name was Beebe and her grandmother was a Washington. Her grandmother's grandfather, if you follow me, was the last private owner of Mt. Vernon, George Washington's home. That allowed me to visit the basement at Mt. Vernon but it isn't good for much else.

I suspect that virtually all my ancestors came from England before 1800.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE