kilts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
completly non-bushcraft but anyway,
today, for no apparent reason i decided to wear my kilt to go out in town today. there was a foriegn food fair on in town. i had about a dozen girls demand photographs with me. (four of them demanded to be kissed :) )
i love my kilt comfortable, and popular with women.
:beerchug:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm, man in kilt.....nice.... :eek:
The woman's version, the arisaid, draws many admirers too :p Women do wear underskirts though.
I've made seven new sets of chemise, skirts, bodices and arisaids this month alone....and five ghillie shirts too :)
Hey Graham, if you wear your kilt to the New Year meet up I'll see that the three of us wear arisaids....dressed down versions, no silk or lace and velvet....but complete with boots! (in Vhairi's case that means matching baseball ones in Black Watch tartan) :D

Cheers,
Toddy

M

Millbilly

This may seem sacriligious to all the scots out there, but is anyone here familiar with utilikilts? :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Millbilly said:
This may seem sacriligious to all the scots out there, but is anyone here familiar with utilikilts? :)

Uhuh; Skirts with pockets :rolleyes: Actually the only place I've seen them worn was in England at two re-enactor's markets.

Cheers,
Toddy

M

Millbilly

Skirts with pockets? Cant argue with that! :lmao: Gotta admit, i actually own one, and during the summer months, rarely take it off (except for the odd wash... :rolleyes: )
i think theyre really comfy, and will allways wear it while out in the woods, but have found that they attract a little too much attention while worn out and about in my Essex hometown. :eek:

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
I think kilts look really cool but alas the cultural barrier is to wide for me to get one... If I would wear one in Sweden the local newspapers would have a field day, and probably no kisses from the girls either :eek:

I know that a lot of the tartan patterns are reserved/controlled but are there any "regulations" for the kilt itself?

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Bumblebee said:
I think kilts look really cool but alas the cultural barrier is to wide for me to get one... If I would wear one in Sweden the local newspapers would have a field day, and probably no kisses from the girls either :eek:

I know that a lot of the tartan patterns are reserved/controlled but are there any "regulations" for the kilt itself?

No regulations,no controls.

Anyone can wear a kilt and in any tartan. :)

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
BorderReiver said:
No regulations,no controls.

Anyone can wear a kilt and in any tartan. :)

It does seem that the stories about regulation are perpetuated to massage the egos of tourists, in order to encourage closure of a sale.

Imagine if you will, Joshua Goldberg III from New York, who might go into one of those big tartan shops on the Royal Mile. There, the shop's massive genealogy database will tell him that his Great Uncle's flatmate was a MacDonald of the isles (because they over-ordered on that tartan last summer). How better to encourage him to hand over his hard earned dollars, and be really proud of his purchase?!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Tommy, it appears that Swedes are honorary Mackays or Munros:

http://gaelicdreams.tripod.com/id100.htm

although if you don't mind going back a millennium or more I reckon you could claim kinship with the various Caithness clans too.

My kilt is of MacEwan tartan - a 'broken' clan meaning there are no lands and no chief.

Anyway, as has been said, there are no rules. The idea that each clan had its own tartan is a Victorian myth, and most individual tartans are no more than 150 years old. Tartan itself is much, much older.

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
Doc said:
Anyway, as has been said, there are no rules. The idea that each clan had its own tartan is a Victorian myth, and most individual tartans are no more than 150 years old. Tartan itself is much, much older.

You live and learn! It is a very widespread myth however and taught in swedish schools...

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Possibly there is confusion with Scottish Heraldry which is very strictly controlled indeed by the Lord Lyon King of Arms. If you display someone elses coat of arms you can find yourself in serious trouble. Arms are granted to an individual and cannot be used by someone else just because they have the same surname.

Most clan badges incorporate the chiefs insignia surrounded by a belt. This indicates that you are a follower of the chief, and are not claiming the insignia as your own. It is quite correct and legitimate to display a clan badge like this.

It is also possible to apply to the Lord Lyon for a grant of arms, and have your own coat of arms, over which you and your family have exclusive use. It is expensive.

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
I would love to wear a kilt for bushcrafting but the fear of the higland midge puts me right off. I have never tried it - anyone else?
What always suprises me when I wear one is how warm it is.
I have 2 clan tartans (Moffat) - one that looks like a cheap blanket and the other that resembles an explosion in a dye factory (I find it actually sore to look at http://www.tartans.scotland.net/tartan_info.cfm?tartan_id=157 )

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Heres a question for all your clever clogs.

My Dad's side of my family originate from Scotland, somewhere down near Stranraer I think and my Great grandad used to wear a kilt, in the family/clan/whatever pattern. But my grandad lost contact with his parents and family in a bit of a family fight and doesnt really like to talk about it, even to my Dad.

Where can i find out what pattern this was?

My families surname is "Noble". Can anyone help - or is it more complicated than this?

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Andy, there is in Godalming a mens hire shop (posh one) they found out for me, similar sort of thing on my dads side.
What I had to tell them was surname and area he came from.
If I remember I'll ask for ya next time I go. :)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE