Kifaru packs query

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Hi, I'm contemplating getting a Kifaru for a day sack. I'm looking at the X-Ray or Express but have read a few concerning comments on various online reviews. I'm a short 5' 7'' with an average back. I've seen a few comments that the smaller X-ray sat heavy on the shoulders when loaded up because of it's shorter stature. The alternative is the Express which I haven't seen anyone mention the same problem. Any thoughts or recommendations? Further I understand the Express (non-molle) doesn't have a pouch on top of the lid or inside the lid. Is there anyway a Kifaru pouch can be added securely?

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
The Express has 21" stays, while the X-Ray has 17" stays. Therefor the Express is longer than the X-Ray. Not sure on the shoulder lift for you height. I don't get any from the Hunter version of the Express (Spike Camp Legacy) - though I'm 6'4"-ish. I do find my pack to be a tad large for being a daypack. But of course this depends on what you are using it for and what you carry. Also note the X-Ray is 8 liter smaller than the Express.

Both packs have a top lid (Express only since they introduced G2 (Generation 2), G1 was a plain lid IIRC), where my pack in the Hunter range only has a mesh pocket under the lid.

Be aware of some upcoming renewals for the Express (not sure on the X-Ray) in 2014. It might pay of to wait a bit and pick up a pack cheaper, or a pack that has better features.

HTH

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
Hope it works out okay for you stay-wise mate!
Was thinking of getting a Kifaru Bikini / EMR II, but now gravitating towards a MR 7/6500 (at the moment, lol).
Two months lead time btw ? :)

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Hope it works out okay for you stay-wise mate!
Was thinking of getting a Kifaru Bikini / EMR II, but now gravitating towards a MR 7/6500 (at the moment, lol).
Two months lead time btw ? :)

So I understand need to get some patience.

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
So I understand need to get some patience.

You never know mate they might surprise you, I think their lead times are longer for newly introduced stuff, may only be a month if you're lucky.
I'm assuming that was you saying hello on the Kif forum earlier -- did you consider the MR 3-day Assualt/Komodo/Dragon Slayer btw ? Just interested in why you opted for Kifaru, if you can excuse my curiosity please :)

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
No read up a lot over the years on Kifaru and whilst a lot of people with experience of packs from MR and others speak well everyone speaks well of Kifaru. I also had a birthday and cash so took the plunge. I've tried a lot of packs over the years military and civilian. The features of Kifaru, build, design, modularity, repair(few and far between) and service led me to opt for them. Time will tell

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
No read up a lot over the years on Kifaru and whilst a lot of people with experience of packs from MR and others speak well everyone speaks well of Kifaru. I also had a birthday and cash so took the plunge. I've tried a lot of packs over the years military and civilian. The features of Kifaru, build, design, modularity, repair(few and far between) and service led me to opt for them. Time will tell

Thanks for that, hope you get it soon :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE