Kew Gardens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Went for a walk in the botanic gardens at the weekend. I was amazed by the number of fungi we found there. Came across some really good specimens of parasol and shaggy parasol mushrooms, field mushrooms, a cauliflower fungus, bay boletus, a couple of other varieties of boletes and numerous other fungi I couldn't identify. I am just a beginner at identifying fungi but found it really useful to see such a selection of mushrooms and some good quality specimens - really helped with learning to spot the characteristics of the different types. The arboretum has a huge range of tree types so you get a nice variety of habitats and most the trees are tagged with their species so you can brush up on your tree identification too.

I think Kew is a bit of an undervalued bushcraft resource - you get to see trees and plants from all round the world, including various tropical food crops in the glass houses. Excellent for us city dwellers to expand our knowledge. Just don't try camping or lighting a fire - they might get a bit upset by that.

More than just a nice place for a Sunday stroll.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I think Kew is a bit of an undervalued bushcraft resource
I agree!! I'd reccomend anyone to go there.... it a fantastic place and the staff are full of infomation, helpful and friendly. It really is worth taking some time looking around the place and take a note book!!.... you probably couldn't do it all in one day (there was loads I wanted to go back for).

:)
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE