Kerambits?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
does anyone on here use a kerambit? if so what for?

they are on the list of things to make but I'm not too sure about them.

cheers
andy

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Hi Andy,

Aren't they an Indonesian/Malay knife?

I'm not sure if they are used in a practical sense or more as ceremonial accoutrement these days. Kind of like the way a Sgean Dhub is used nowadays.

But, I'm probably wrong mate.

All the best,

Liam

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I think so yes Dave.

I know a few like them for tactical knives but they seem a big vicious looking for every day stuff.

I am intrigued by them though.

I would be interested to hear from a kerambit owner/user.

andy

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
I love Karambits. I've owned and sold and owned and sold so many its not funny.

They are originally a harvesting knife from Indonesia/Java/Malaysia/Sumatra and they have developed a martial arts technique based on the knife because that was the tool they always had.

The 'tiger claw' has magnificent cutting power, but it is limited in its uses. Ropes mainly.
and it will always be looked at as a vicious weapon.

If I were to carry a blade shape like that for bushcraft I would have a small La Griffe (Fred Perrin design) made by Emerson knives. I also probably wouldn't use it.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Is the martial art Silat?

Or is it Pananjakman/Panantukan, or are they the boxing and kicking arts?

Cheers,

Liam

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
yup its silat, with eskrima focusing on weapons, ie knife, stick etc etc.

Silat is the name given to martial arts from the Indonesian islands.

Eskrima is one of the names given to a Martial art from the Philippines.

They both use Krambits.

Or is it Pananjakman/Panantukan, or are they the boxing and kicking arts?

They are kicking/unarmed bits of eskrima.

I do not think you would get that much arguement in saying they have the same roots, but Eskrima was very heavily influenced by Spanish dagger/sword fighting.

They are originally a harvesting knife from Indonesia/Java/Malaysia/Sumatra and they have developed a martial arts technique based on the knife because that was the tool they always had.

They do look like that but so far not heard any evidance for this. Actual heard they were a hair grip, so a last ditch weapon, or hidden weapon.

I am not going to explain how a krambit works, so do not want to get banned.

They have become a favorite of people who need to cut rope one handed, so climbers, parachuters etc.

For Bushcraft, no use what so ever that I can see. A little like carrying a Commando dagger for cutting apples.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
asian martial arts are just like the oriental martial arts, all a hodge podge of each other. I do look winding up my judo pals by telling them that it comes from greek pankration LOL

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
nothing more I can add about kerambits beyond what has already been said, but I did make one myself a little while ago. All I can say is Andy, if you like a forging challenge, then give it a go :D

yes I searched for you thread over on BB - I never found a picture of the final product though.

but I was a bit confuddled about the forging of it when I started thinking about it all.

I bet it is a bit of a challenge! may give it a go some time in the future!

Andy

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
asian martial arts are just like the oriental martial arts, all a hodge podge of each other. I do look winding up my judo pals by telling them that it comes from greek pankration LOL

Actually Silat comes from the mixing of the four basic arts. That is its origin, the four best warriors joined together to guard the king, and for want of a better idea swapped ideas. There is no one there saying that they did not take forward what came from China, though Indian, and from Greece.

The big problem is separting the people, the times, and arts, plus the fact that there are only so many ways to do certain things. You only have to look at the Native Americans to see arts can evolve with no outside effect.

Take Judo, which is actual the Founder's version of Ju Juitsu, so he, as a small guy, perfected throwing because it defeated the bigger guys punching, and kicking. Most of the modern arts follow this sort of pattern, they are a version of what was worked out the first time a dad taught his sons what worked for him.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
yes I searched for you thread over on BB - I never found a picture of the final product though.

but I was a bit confuddled about the forging of it when I started thinking about it all.

I bet it is a bit of a challenge! may give it a go some time in the future!

Andy

here you go :)

kerambitweb.jpg

When a blade is forged completely (ie not just forged into a knife shaped bar that has bevels ground in later), the blade starts to bend up towards the back as the bevels are forged in. So that it doesn't end up as buffalo skinner/banana it is easiest to bend the bar into a downward curve (it looks like the kerambit blade), as the bevels are forged so the blade straightens up ;) Of course, because the kerambit ends up a tight hook, the preform is bent into a near complete circle! :eek: a 3" or 4" diameter circle is a very tight space to forge in :D

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
here you go :)

kerambitweb.jpg

When a blade is forged completely (ie not just forged into a knife shaped bar that has bevels ground in later), the blade starts to bend up towards the back as the bevels are forged in. So that it doesn't end up as buffalo skinner/banana it is easiest to bend the bar into a downward curve (it looks like the kerambit blade), as the bevels are forged so the blade straightens up ;) Of course, because the kerambit ends up a tight hook, the preform is bent into a near complete circle! :eek: a 3" or 4" diameter circle is a very tight space to forge in :D

ah - I did wonder. but that is a perfectly logical conclusion.

yes I can imagine 3-4" is a bit of a pain to work in.
a great looking blade Dave - really nice stuff.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE