Kephart knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'm a fan of Horace Kepharts book "Camping and Woodcraft" and I'd always meant to get around to making a knife to his design. I took a couple of liberties, slight aesthetic changes, and convex grind where I'm sure his would have been flat ground.
So here it is 01 tool steel, 4" blade and I'm pretty sure elm for the handle (wood came from a coffin bottom, unused). Homemade fibre spacers, cotton cloth soaked in epoxy and clamped to the scales. It worked quite well.

2009_0521Image0002.jpg

2009_0521Image0001.jpg

Here is a link to the ad for the knife and an original (warning contains pictures of dead animals) http://www.wcu.edu/library/digitalcoll/kephart/onlineexhibit/outdoors/Hunting.htm

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
The cloth liners probably don't provide the expansion buffer that fibre liners do, it's more like a layer of "fake-arta." I just made sure everything was warm, glue, cloth and scales. I glued both scales up at the same time and clamped them together with a bit of polythene, well lubed with veg oil, in between them. When it came to gluing the knife up I gave the liners a good rough up with sandpaper.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Looks good, like a tool that's meant to be used, nothing too fancy but still looks good for some reason, probably those very reasons.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I love the simple lines of the Kephart.

I have just had on made for me by Matt Lesniewski of ML Knives. That is a convex too, in 1095 carbon, with a tiger maple handle.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I love the simple lines of the Kephart.

I have just had on made for me by Matt Lesniewski of ML Knives. That is a convex too, in 1095 carbon, with a tiger maple handle.

Sounds good. I really like the look of his work. It was actually his interpretation of the Kephart that got me interested in making my own version. I'd seen the original ad for the Kephart knife several years ago but being new to knife making I was more interested in "flashier" designs. I'm now coming back to simpler stuff. I'd be interested to know how you get on with your ML version.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Those knives are growing on me. I may have to follow your lead and make one!! I have ordered the book, as you make it sounds like it will be a good read :)
Loads of great information in it. A worthwhile addition to anyones library, especially if you like natural materials and trad gear, so I'm sure you'll love it:).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE