Kent Pattern Hatchet Restoration

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I'm an absolute sucker for old and neglected tools which has lead me to stray from the straight and narrow on many occasions, to much fiscal malign. I cant resist the feeling of taking something, neary 100 years old in some cases, and restoring it back to a workable piece of equipment that may last another 100 years or so.

I was rummaging (one of my favourite pastimes) in a junk shop the other day when I stumbled across an old No.2 size Kent pattern hatchet. I've never really been a fan of the shape of them, having been used to the GB style or the more common chippie hatchet my father used to use. I expected it to be an Elwell or Whitehouse as many hatchets of similar design were manufactured in huge numbers and found their way all over the UK. I could make out some rough numbering; 3 10 No.2 with the faint imprint of '...EDGE TOOL Co'.

Here's a few photos of before;

A bit of elbow grease and an hour or so later, along with some internet research I discovered the imprint revealed the name of 'EAGLE EDGE TOOL Co'. I'd never heard of them before, but research revealed that despite the very American sounding name, the hatchet was the product of a Wolverhampton-based firm occupying the Eagle Works in Monmore Green, W'ton. Apparently the firm had been a going concern since the middle part of the 19th Century and were suppliers of tools to HM Government amongst others.

Regardless of the manufacturer, the hatchet was a joy to restore and will probably replace either my GB Small Forest Axe for chopping duties as the convex edge on this blade seems to be better suited to chopping kindling and the like.

Here are a few more snaps of the finished article:

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
It was quite fine, I think it had been slightly convex, but I re-profiled it to a more pronounced convex for its intended use for chopping kindling for the forge out in the back yard.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
I'm an absolute sucker for old and neglected tools which has lead me to stray from the straight and narrow on many occasions, to much fiscal malign. I cant resist the feeling of taking something, neary 100 years old in some cases, and restoring it back to a workable piece of equipment that may last another 100 years or so.

Yup, that explains why I have two Kent pattern hatchets. Well done on the refurb - you now have a great little working tool.

Cheers

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Bravo - I've never been very taken with the Kent pattern but you've definitely done a top job - you've made me want one :)

I'm a big fan of old axes and the restoration thereof - trouble is it's so addictive...

:D

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm a big fan of old axes and the restoration thereof - trouble is it's so addictive...

:D

Tell me about it...>sigh< I now wander around Vide grenier (French boot fairs) trying not to make eye contact with stray old tools hoping I'd take pity on them take them home and lavish them with TLC. They must know I'm a sucker for that ploy too.

Really nice restoration job there Silver Forge. Long may it serve you well. Thanks for the brief history lesson, it does sort of fill in the blanks about the heritage of a tool like that. If it could only talk eh?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE