Kent pattern axe 'reshape'

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I ve always fancied having a go at reshaping an axe head and im not a bushcrafter but had a go.Ive had this kent pattern axe for a very long time and yesterday decided to get to work.No idea what the mark is on the blade.
I gave it a good clean up with the wire brush in the grinder and its now scary sharp after a session on the stone. I just need a hickory handle now,, dont know what i'll do with it when its done but had fun,,......let me know how i did:)
When ive finished it i might sell to fund the number 2 reshape.

2012_1014butlins0002.jpg

2012_1014butlins0001.jpg

Last edited:

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
My old dinosaur pc is on its last legs so pictures took ages to upload.
anyway,pics now added.

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Thanks mark,i think the shape is much better than the original....i should have taken pics of before and after but didn't think at the time..:rolleyes:I had plenty of fun regardless.

That is really nice work Wulf. I am not a fan of the Kent pattern shape but I like that a lot.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
That is awesome mate, fantastic work! Currently working on an old axe head myself but I doubt it will come out looking as good as that!
Great work and i look forward to seeing it hafted.
cheers

paddy

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Cheers paddy,appreciate the comments.going to get a shaft but not sure on length,the original was 14" but not sure if a 12" would be better now as ive reduced the head...:confused:
make sure you post pictures of yours when its done....

That is awesome mate, fantastic work! Currently working on an old axe head myself but I doubt it will come out looking as good as that!
Great work and i look forward to seeing it hafted.
cheers

paddy

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
looks great! you did a fine job at sharpening it too.

I've reshaped/trimmed an old kent style before and it was alot of fun, deffintely worth doing if you have an old tatty one laying around that isn't being used.

kseta5.jpg

It's not as clean a job as yours but it does a good job at hacking out roots and other less rougher jobs :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
What tools did you use to cut it apart? I got out the angle grinder and went easy with a thin cutting disc (haha the sparks are always awesome!) then cleaned up the lines with a bench grinder and finished the edge with a flap disc.

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
same as you mate...angle grinder to cut the shape...then wire brush on the grinder to clean it up/.Sharpened on the linisher.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
ah! I really must get a proper bench sander at some point.. I'm quite good with the angle grinder and a flap disc but it would soo much easier to get a proper tool for the job :p

Picture014-1.jpg

It's a bugger for big blades though, like machetes! ;)

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Looks useable mate,the flap wheel leaves a nice finish.
That looks like a nice head in the picture.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
it's one of the cold steel trial hawks I sorted out. Nice little axes for the money, pretty keen in the wood once reprofiled too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE