Kent Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AntMan232

Jan 2, 2012
Surrey
I am looking at getting my first axe, and I have my eyes on an old Kent Axe head to restore. I am looking for a small hatchet for scouting type activities, and was wondering whether a Kent axe was a suitable type.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have an old Kent-pattern hatchet. The profile of the head means it is good for carving, but not much good at splitting as it is insufficiently wedge-shaped. This may not be typical of all Kents.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Most definitley, i use one with a short helve and love it for general carving duties

AntMan232

Jan 2, 2012
Surrey
Thanks for the quick replies! I may do some carving with it, but it may be used more for splitting small firewood. I think it will probably suffice for my purposes, and even if it doesn't, it won't have cost me much and there are always other axes around.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Hi Antman232, If you come to the Sussex meet at Broadstone Warren Nr Forest Row there will be plenty of axes you can try out.
Be good to see new people.

F7144

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Kent
If you come to the sussex meet myself and Neil will have Gransfors Bruk, and hudson bay axes, also tomahawks. All 3 are good for general bushcraft.

Luke
Greencraft staff member

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE