kelly kettles warning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wedgie

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
gods own county of yorkshire
hi to all i have just got out my Kelly kettle as i am getting my kit ready for a jaunt away
i have filled it with water and it has sprung a leak out of the middle of the side wall on the outer part of the kettle .i have used it less than a dozen times so i am not impressed .it has not been abused and has been dry stored at the top of my celler and has not been dropped, i would have been knackered if i had been away as i tend just to take it along and a plastic bowl

wedgie

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
gods own county of yorkshire
Perhaps it needs to be heated up with a small amount of water in to seal it again ?? just a thought.:D
the hole is halfway up the side wall of the kettle no amount of heating will close the hole its going to be a patch or replace
to look at it seams to be a fault with the metal a manufacturing fault in the metal its self so a quality control issue

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Poor workmanship.

My mate ordered no less than four before he got one that was not leaking and thats without any use at all!

I won't buy one, no way.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I've got a Ghillie kettle and have no problems with it, mind, i've only used it once, lol. I think that they are made by the same company btw. :D

Contact the company, they may replace it foc ??

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm with Chainsaw, my brother and I use ours a lot and after the initial sealing boil have never had a leak. Could be a bad batch, and aluminium can corrode. They do a SS one now.

Contact Kelly and see what they say, found them to be nice when I have in the past.
GB.

As an owner of two kelly kettles and a user of the ghillie kettles in the forest schools, I'd say that the ghilie kettles are a far better design and of a much tougher construction. My kelly kettles have been fine but with HEAVY use the bowls always warp, they dent very easily and they need to be treated with a lot of respect, not only that the corks are a bad idea, they are magnet for dirt. The ghilies I use with the forest schools are almost bombproof. I think the new stainless kk's will be a welcome improvement.

WS

peatbog

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2008
paisley, Scotland
I have 2 kelly kettles that get used a couple of times a week, never had any probs.
I think you should contact the kelly kettle company, and I am 100% sure they will put things right.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very happy with mine although like WS said I've also had to straighten out the bowl a couple of times.

Might treat myself to a stainless one for chrimbo though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE