kelly kettle

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sandsnakes I know the idea of a screw cap sounds ideal but trust me on this, folks forget, and that makes it a bomb. It's bad enough when the cork is blown out........and I've seen that happen three times over the years :rolleyes: :eek: I didn't believe anyone could be so daft (ahem ! absentminded) but even experienced folks do it. Fair enough on a water bottle though.

The Swiss volcano kettle is a favourite bit of my kit :approve: I've got two. It's small, incredibly light and very useable. Packs easily in a rucksac too. It's *supposed* to run on stuff like greenheat gel but I just use it with whatever I get hold of............half a newspaper boils enough water for a Ti mug of coffee, but twigs work very very well and feathersticks are excellent.

cheers,
Toddy

Dec 16, 2007
Any chance of seeing pictures of the swiss kettle in action I have a 1pt kelly but would like to see other ones. Nothing on youtube but does have a kelly with a whistle.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Add a pressure valve to the screw cap or just a good popon/off plastic cap.

Any one out there do delicate alloy spot welding?

Sandsnakes

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Sandsnakes

That would do it :approve: otherwise just "Gonnae no' "
Actually, I'd be interested if anyone could do this to a cap to fit the kettles we already have.

cheers,
Toddy

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Sandsnakes

I would be surprised if couldn't get a silicone bung with pressure valve fitted. Would've thought it was a standard piece of science lab gear.

Or perhaps a bung cut so its more flush with the kettle, so less leverage for it to get knocked out, and put something (braided cable?) through the bung to make a loop to be able to pull it out?

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I would be surprised if couldn't get a silicone bung with pressure valve fitted. Would've thought it was a standard piece of science lab gear.

Or perhaps a bung cut so its more flush with the kettle, so less leverage for it to get knocked out, and put something (braided cable?) through the bung to make a loop to be able to pull it out?

Jared,

you sound familiar with lab kit, fancy looking around to see whats about. Its a bit out of my area.

Sandsnakes

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Looks like they do one big enough for the flue end as well.

I will try it out and let you know. Best test is just to fill kettle up and let it roll around the floor of the car for a couple of days! If it does not leak after that it never will lol.

Sandsnakes:)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Does anyone have any experiance of a UK variation on the Swiss army volcano stove made by Centreforge?

I picked up a set from a box full (sadlly now gone) at a warehouse army stores in Leeds years ago. It has a NSN of 7360-99-977-3147 and a patent, which I did find but have since lost, which means it is of UK origins. The place quite often turned up trials kit.

I've some decent pics of it but I can't put them up as I am a bear of very little brain. I later turned up a small tommy cooker/ tin of jell fuel which fits neatly in the top and it came with a couple of squeeze tubes to refil that.

If some one could put up the pics I'd be very grateful.

On that vague note I also picked up another odd bt of kit, civilian this time, a collapsable chip pan cage. The handle folds in and the whole lot packs flat. One assumes its for straining veggies.

ATB

Tom

A point of note: Heed the warning label and only use it outdoors and not in a tent. I checked out my 1 pt Kelly Kettle with a CO meter when burning tightly rolled newsprint and it was pumping out a fair stream of exhaust gasses at a magnificent 983ppm CO. My forge running neutral does creates 4ppm and maybe 60 ppm at full rich.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE