Kelly Kettle Mod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi John
thanks for putting picture up showing the hinge, I wondered how that was done. It is a very good easy mod.
Thanks for all the knowledge you shared and the excellent campfire company, your hammock dwelling neighbour
Chas

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
:confused:

1. You can prevent burns to your hands by lifting the kettle off with the handle held perpendicular to the ground.
2. Why would you want to kill the fire while you refill the kettle?
3. Putting an empty kettle back on the fire tray could damage it.

Sorry, but in my opinion, that's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I wouldn't normally bother to dip in like this, however;

1: you can indeed, prevent burns as you state. However, I for one would not like to lift a full Kelly in the manner you suggest.

2: I would imagine that 'K' is thinking of filling the Kelly without having to lift it off the base.

3: You're right, assuming you replace the empty Kelly on a burning base and then leave it to continue to burn unhindered
It appears obvious(to me anyway:confused: ) that the intention is to 'damp' the fire as soon as the kettle is popped back on the base, thereby avoiding any damage.

I think 'K' has come up with a very well made solution to several problems there:cool:
I really like it:35:
I am of course totally biased, as I love well engineered stuff like this:D

For 'K': I might have added a small brass loop or ring with a short length of chain, to lift the flap up. Maybe even a tag towards the hinge, a bit like a hammer on a six gun?:)

cheers

R.B.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi John :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
glad you are still out there on the forum, as there an awfull lot of us likeminded people on the forum. I hope you get on well with the hammock and if you need any tips on using the Bush Buddy chat to Chris as he gave me loads of usefull tips at the moot.
I enjoyed looking at your website lots of cool work on there, you obviously have many talents.
When I get back from the Wilderness Gathering my first project will be modding my kelly kettle ;)
Chas

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
1: you can indeed, prevent burns as you state. However, I for one would not like to lift a full Kelly in the manner you suggest.

2: I would imagine that 'K' is thinking of filling the Kelly without having to lift it off the base.

3: You're right, assuming you replace the empty Kelly on a burning base and then leave it to continue to burn unhindered
It appears obvious(to me anyway:confused: ) that the intention is to 'damp' the fire as soon as the kettle is popped back on the base, thereby avoiding any damage.

1. The handle is robust enough to carry a full kettle of water, even when it is held at an angle off from vertical. Why do they make the Kelly's handle with rigid arms? That's how you're meant to take it off the fire tray.

2. How have you got the previous contents out of the kettle? :confused:

3. You've just made a brew - what's the rush? Just let the fire burn out.
Or, if you have some spare, tip some water on it. Or tip the fire out and extinguish it.

If you seal the top of the chimney and replace the kettle on the tray, the fire will still take a long time to cool as air will still feed through the bottom vent(s).

However, I appreciate the high quality of the workmanships of K-NYPH's modification, even if I don't see it as a practical design.

I am back on as I have discovered the ignore list function on my user CP,"The Future looks good ,The future is GREEN"
No More having to read negative stuff
Ignore list :You_Rock_

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
1. The handle is robust enough to carry a full kettle of water, even when it is held at an angle off from vertical. Why do they make the Kelly's handle with rigid arms? That's how you're meant to take it off the fire tray.
Hello there Steven,

I've just been having a look at my kelly and I think you may have a point about the lifting method.;)

I have always just lifted it straight off, as quickly as possible but it does appear to be a less hazardous technique, given that the handle ends are formed into loops, keeping them secure.

I'm now thinking that some sort of wooden fitting for the handle legs, might be a potential mod:bluThinki

all the best

R.B.

K.NYPH

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2009
Leicestershire
I know this is not exactly what you mean ,but this is my handle mod:)
BUSHCRAFT036.jpg

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ok, anybody do a door on the hearth part of a Kelly yet to regulate the air getting in at both ends?

If it wouldn't be prohibitively heavy (and silly) I'd like a turntable underneath my Thermette and a wind vane fitted because everytime I set it up the wind decides to change direction every couple of minutes!

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE