kelly kettle as a cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i know how good kelly kettles are as a means to boil water (used them on a course) and if i buy another stove anytime soon im probably a dead man (got 9 already lol) but i am curious if anyone has tried the cooking extensions for the kelly kettle and any feedback. I dont like the idea of the one that cooks above the volcano but the little grill that sits on the base bowl looks nifty or is it awkward to feed it fuel if you havent enough embers...

anyone good for a review on it?

the laird

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2006
DK
the kelly kettlle is a big heavy useless lump,a trangia is leaps and bounds more advanced.but then you would get confused with all the futuristic nonsense

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A kelly kettle will boil a kettle full of water in a couple of minutes. That's a full kettleful, enough for six mugs. No trangia equals that. Trust me, I tried it at Murton last week. One wee two cup kettle took nearly eight minutes to boil :rolleyes:

The cooking base works fine if you have embers enough, but the grill is split/folding so you can just lift one edge and add more fuel as necessary.
I don't much fancy the top cooker bit myself tbh. Just looks like an accident waiting to happen :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
It's not that awkward to feed fuel into the base if the embers start to cool down. It helps if you blow through the hole too. Also, i found that food cooks a lot better if you place the kettle over the top of it, so you have the effect of an oven. So, boil the kettle, make sure there is enough water in the kettle, add twigs to the embers, stick the grill over the base, put the food on the grill, place the kettle over the grill + food, blow through the hole and - voila! - you have an outback oven. Although experience has taught me someone will have found a problem with this. :)

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i use trangias all the time top piece of kit but kelly kettle as stated boils lots of water fast and is versatile when it comes to fueling (and handful of twigs, heather, pine cones even paper so the perfect apocalypse boiler :-D

the only down size is they are a bit bulky but i havent seen the 0.5 litre one close up (that might be more carriable)

in relation to the course, i was on a bushcraft weekend and we had 3 kelly kettles of various sizes for people to try and use as well as big pots over the fire... it was with pro adventure in llangollen (why do you sound suprised on them letting us use them?)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well IME a Kelly Kettle is a good way to get a fire going to begin with, you can then use the embers to start any other kind of a fire as you feel like.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
cooking with one requires a gillie put grill so as it can stand over the base and you can cook on that and yes the pot stand works but you have to be careful with cos if not it can topple over but is fine and ave used it loads

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I always found that that cooking on the KK was a waste of time - great for water but not for cooking. The top cook kit is a waste of time as you shouldn't use the kettle empty but the kettle is so efficient at boiling water you normally find that the water is boiling away before you have finished cooking. The base is ok to cook on but you will get much better (and easier) results imho by using a wee stove or stick fire.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE