Keeping knives out of reach from little ones

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My brothers and I grew up around tools; I genuinely thought that men who didn't have a workshop were kind of weird, and untrustworthy....what did they do with their time ? :dunno:
My sons grew up seeing tools in use, and used them in their turn. Tools were presents from pre-school age.
Knives are just tools.

Some tools, like Grandpa's chisels, were razor sharp ( like the Uncle's razor :rolleyes: my husband has a beard, and doesn't shave. The boys were fascinated watching the other Toddy shave. Andrew tried it when the razor was left out to dry. Thank all the gods it was a disposable one and not the cutthroat one, because the child cut his face with it :sigh: I don't think I have ever seen my brother look so broken hearted, but it wasn't his fault; the bairn hadn't been told not to touch the razor, hadn't been shown how to use it, and even if it had been left where he could see it, he ought to have thought again about touching someone else's tools without permission) and most definitely, "hands behind your back", until Grandpa allowed them to use them.
I bought them SAKnives, and I bought them junior hacksaws, hammers, screwdrivers (Yankee drivers are a great hit when you're about eight :D)
They still get tools as presents, and they still use tools. Son1's getting a bit for his lathe for Christmas :)

Every man I knew carried a pocket knife though; it was normal. Wee boys carried pocket knives too. Ladies had little folding mother of pearl ones (or the little tartan touristy ones) in their handbags. They were just useful things.

I think society has gone weird; too few folks know how to use tools, let alone do use tools.

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Like Toddy says everyone carried a knife. It was a right of passage for me as a little nipper when I got given my own knife. I felt so proud, I'd shown I was responsible enough to have my own knife. (It was one of my maternal Grandfathers old pocket knives and that made it all the more special to me.) I felt grown up as I paid him my penny for it (always pay for a knife) and although I was trusted enough to warrant having one there was still the warning "Miss use it and I'll take it back and you'll never get another."

Have always had a knife in my pocket bar in places where they're not allowed and still to this day never thought of miss using it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
..... The boys were fascinated watching the other Toddy shave. Andrew tried it when the razor was left out to dry. Thank all the gods it was a disposable one and not the cutthroat one, because the child cut his face with it :sigh: I don't think I have ever seen my brother look so broken hearted, but it wasn't his fault; the bairn hadn't been told not to touch the razor, hadn't been shown how to use it.....

I haven't seen them in ages so I don't know if they even make them anymore, but when I was a kid we had toy razors (as in plastic safety razors with cardboard blades that you could change just like the real ones daddy used) that we played with as if we were really shaving; I don't remember what we used for the shaving cream though. The whole idea was sorta along the lines of the wooden knife idea mentioned earlier.

Like Toddy says everyone carried a knife. It was a right of passage for me as a little nipper when I got given my own knife. I felt so proud, .....

I remember that feeling well. I was about8 when I bought my first pocket knife. One very much like this one:

41ftMA2nsiL._SX300_.jpg

Mine had a dark bone handle though and instead of the BSA logo, it had the manufacturer's brand name on it (Craftsman) I kept that knife for ages until I finally lost it after I enlisted. It's still my favorite although I no longer have it.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
We taught them what they were, what they are for and what they can do (the "ouch" factor).

But while the older had access to the sharpest knife in the house (a small kitchen knife at the time) from as long as I can remember, the younger we were more cautious with. It's individual.

Both had their own "bushcraft" knives by age 7. (An Enzo and Rob Evans respectively).

Having said that we were (and in some ways still are) a lot more cautious around folding knives.

Show them the "ouch" factor in a way they can understand and play it moment by moment until you know they no longer need supervision.

Consiousness and Understanding are always superior to rules. But you need to know they have developed these, before dropping vigilence.

I remember reading that in Bali they have 1 knife in the house that they use for everything and any 6 year old there can display a level of skill with it that would put any "Western" adult to shame.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I bought my middle daughter a sak last year whilst on holiday she keeps it in her bedside draw she knows to ask when she wants to use it and im there, she sticks to that rule she's 10 now. Her younger brother knows he's not to touch it and does'nt though at the minute its only her thats interested in the outdoors, my eldest daughter and son are more gadget oriented types.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Some great replies and advise, my little one will certainly be brought up around and using tools, my house, shop, workshop all have a vast array of tools and sharpes, she's watched me in the workshop using knives axe etc and is aware she needs to stand back. I'm quite old fashioned in my parenting thoughts and totally agree that our next generation will have little if any hands on knowledge when it come to using tools
to be honest my concern was brought to my attention at the weekend, I was talking to my dad and could feel her rummaging in my pocket but thought only my phone as it that pocket, I then realised she'd pulled out my pocket knife, no problem or danger as I saw straight away, I explained it was daddy's very sharp knife(ouchy!) but it made me think, like I say she is only 1 so still learning usualy the hard way, I just wondered if anyone carried there's on them in a certain place or way as to keep it safe
to be honest this isn't overly a concern to me as I'm not daft and I'm well aware of what needs to be done teaching wise just always nice to compare notes!

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
My kids, 4 and 7, both know that the knives are not for them to play with when adults arent around but they are free to get scissors when they want as long as the are careful and put them back.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm right in the middle! My grandsons are just 1yr, my kids are all medical professionals.
When they come to visit, I'll give the little guys a block of Canadian soapstone (steatite)
and a flat-blade screwdriver = plenty good enough for carving.

For the time being, crayons and endless supplies of paper ought to fill the bill.

Messy, dusty, but this is Grandpa's house. Almost anything goes.
My D2 insists that the boys are washable.

Grandpa keeps all his wood carving tools better than scalpel sharp.
All the tool rolls are in tool boxes.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
My kids, 4 and 7, both know that the knives are not for them to play with when adults arent around but they are free to get scissors when they want as long as the are careful and put them back.

That's actually something I forgot to mention in my notes. We drew a line between play and not-play and put the sharps firmly in not play.

Most recent mantra with the guys was

if it's sharp it's dangerous
if it spins it's dangerous

if it's sharp and spins it's very dangerous

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I chose never to have children mainly on the basis that I would not be able to live the life I wanted if I had kids around....
My house is probably the least child friendly in Britain with kitchen chemicals, medicines and sharps all where I find them to be convenient - and as I am a short person that means low down!
My work room is a child safety nightmare.
When children visit, their parents are advised that the children are kept under control, wear shoes (against pins or flint flakes on the floor)and ask to look at something if it interests them, not just to grab.
I have yet to accidentally injure a child yet (deliberately is another issue and sub judice so I cannot discuss that at the moment...).
I firmly believe that education is the answer - not for the child but for the parent in most cases :)
As a serious answer to the original question - put your pocket knife in a difficult to access pocket that she is told is a "no go" area.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Good evening
as my little ones nearly two now she's able to open doors, bags get in pockets etc and these are all places I use to keep sharp thing, my work bag is hung high out the way but I'm mainly concerned about my pocket knife as it's usualy in my trouser pocket. I'm just wondering what precautions others take to keep there little ones safe from there pocket knife
thanks

My boy has just turned two as well and he has to touch and play with everything and it is very difficult for him to accept the word "no" at the moment. For that reason I keep knives and fire starting paraphernalia in a locked box so he doesn't have an accident while im at work. Apart from that he knows he isnt allowed in the cupboard under the sink when he comes in the kitchen. I have knives in my bag and he is told to be careful if he "finds" one. I don't do any wood carving around him, purely because he wants all the attention and he knows if he wakes in the evening and I have my box of knives and chisels out that he isnt allowed to touch them.
My theory is he isnt going to learn if he doesn't see, feel and touch things so I dont mind him investigating supervised but I would not forgive myself if he injured himself whilst I wasn't around.
My partners auntie and uncle have their lounge "child friendly" and thats where their children stay, not even a sharp corner in sight and I know in years to come my boy is going to be more sensible and cautious around sharps, fire and any other dangerous items.

HTH vizsla.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE