Kayak for Outdoors (Sit On Tops)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i don't do much kayaking these days, i used to do alot. but i reckon the sit on top revolution is a bit of marketing garnish.

there are a couple of simple flaws with the sit on tops (SOTS)

one: you're sitting much higher up than with a proper kayak, raised centre of gravity, intrinsicly less stable.

two: a proper kayak is an extension of your bottom half, it's not just a something you sit on, you grasp it with your knees/thighs like a horserider, you don't move around on your kayak, the kayak moves as part of you. some SOTS have shoulder straps for transport on dry land which have some use as knee braces on water.

the only supposed safety feature would seem to be the increased ability/likelyhood to be separated from your boat when you need it most.

having said that they can be fun. my only boat now is a sevylor tahiti that i use for a surf ski, it's a pig on the flat, but a flying machine in surf :cool: it's even managed to impress a few of the lifeguards down at perranporth, not an easy thing to do. mind you i've upset them once, or twice as well :oops:

cheers, and.

sargey said:
i don't do much kayaking these days, i used to do alot. but i reckon the sit on top revolution is a bit of marketing garnish.

there are a couple of simple flaws with the sit on tops (SOTS)

one: you're sitting much higher up than with a proper kayak, raised centre of gravity, intrinsicly less stable.

two: a proper kayak is an extension of your bottom half, it's not just a something you sit on, you grasp it with your knees/thighs like a horserider, you don't move around on your kayak, the kayak moves as part of you. some SOTS have shoulder straps for transport on dry land which have some use as knee braces on water.

the only supposed safety feature would seem to be the increased ability/likelyhood to be separated from your boat when you need it most.

cheers, and.

SOTS can be fitted with Knee Braces (which are designed for the job) so you can use em in white water and surf etc

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Articles/WhiteWater/Dorfman.html

you are actually pretty low in the water the seat being only a couple of inches of the boat bottom (depending on Model)
Some of the Yanks got ocen fishing for some pretty big Fish in em so they must be stable :-D

As for Diving (although not for a novice) its possible to bring a fully loaded SOT out and back through some quite big surf (dive gear isnt light )

Yest h mainsafty feature ive been quoted is the fact your not going to get trapped in it when it does roll over on you Plus its easy to get in when your on your own as it dosnt fill with water..

ATB

Duncan

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
A friend of mine has one of them. It's alright for riding the surf, a bit unstable though. My vehicle of choice is a bic shortboard :-D.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE