Karrimore predator patrol 45 vs sabre 45

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Xylophile

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2015
Washington
I'm thinking about grabbing a Patrol 45, but was looking for reviews to see how it compares to seemingly everyone's fav the sabre 45.

Has anyone got the patrol? how do you find it?

What does the sabre offer that the patrol doesn't?

Any help would be great, I always want to be fully gen'd up before making such a large purchase

Thanks in advance

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Some Patrols don't have a waistbelt, some have a small belt that can be packed into a pocket each side of the pack.

The top pocket zip faces behind on the patrol and faces the back of your head on the sabre, if you are walking around town on the way to the woods folks are less likely to try to nick anything from the Sabre top pocket.

Different options for attaching pouches and such.

I like them both, I wouldn't walk the Pennine way with either but being short and wide they are both great for walking off the beaten track and making your way through the trees.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I found them both ok but not great. I had the Karrimor predator but it's really designed for the military and to be worn with other webbing so I found it limiting in comfort. I bought a mil issued desert camo one and put a belt on it which provided the same level of comfort the purchased one did. They are both very hard wearing packs and options to add side pockets and in the case of the predator covered in Molle to add whatever you want.

Xylophile

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2015
Washington
Choosing a bag is such a minefield, and its something I want to get right. I'm using a karrimore jura 30 which I do really like as a day bag.

But I really need something bigger for overnight stays. I used a really old berghaus bergan for my overnighter at easter, and although much bigger than my jura it really wasn't ideal for me either. a couple of the buckels were broken and there still wasn't anywhere for my sleepbag without filling the entire main pouch.

The predator has those stuff pockets which I liked as I store my tent and sleep mat on the outside of the bag. I like that I can get it in black, but don't like the fact the waist band looks unsupportive and it sounds very heavy. The military look doesn't bother me, I'm ex forces anyway and as long as its not dpm I like the look.

The condor outdoor 3 day assault also looks good as well. It has a few extra pockets for more admin, but without the possibility of extending it like you can with the both the karrimores so a little less future proof and no where to strap large items like my tent and mat.

I'm really open to suggestions as I seem to be going round in bag related circles :(

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've gone for Kifaru which is good but v expensive. Before that I used a full set of the USMC FILBE kit. Nice, comfortable and expensive. I had the full kit, the hydration pack is essentially the Camelbak Ambush, the assault pack is essentially the Camelbak motherlode but with better stiffener in the back. The main pack is about 70l, fully molle'd, the full kit included two hydration pouches and two food pouches. It was well built and solid kit, not cheap when brought over from the states. I upgraded to Kifaru much to the detriment of my wallet.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104494&highlight=filbe

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101993&highlight=filbe

http://soldiersystems.net/tag/filbe/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xfilbe.TRS0&_nkw=filbe&_sacat=0

Xylophile

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2015
Washington
Ive just looked over all those packs you mentioned, that kifaru stuff does look fantastic. The filbe kit also looks great as well the admin separators inside are a noticeable highlight, the cost of a full kit though, wow!

On reflection I seem to be torn between dump sacks on the predator vs the comfort of the sabre. I could get round the dump sacks by rethinking how I pack kit. Although id like to think comfort isn't a issue as I'm a 33 and tough as old boots, that mentality also had me limping off ben nevis because I thought I didn't need proper boots and socks.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
it's not only a comfort thing. Carry 10kg from the shoulders, and you'll be worn out a lot faster (with back issues) than if you carry that same 10kg on your waist with a propper hipbelt. On long term, wether you're "tough as old boots" or not, it won't matter. Your body will thank you for using a correct backpack with actual hipbelt instead of just a tiny webbing belt for keeping the pack from wobbling.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
the predator is a dedicated military rucksack so it is

Hardwearing
flexible (almost unlimited different pouch options)
is able to cope with very heavy loads

but these make it heavy in comparison and as stated it is designed to be worn with webbing (and or body armour) so as with most military kit the waist strap just holds it in place but does not take the weight

the sabre does not have the molle system but is lighter for it. It has a much better waist belt but will not work with webbing. It is just as hardwearing as the predator as still has some flexibility with the PLCE compatible side zips

They seem to be a popular choice with good reviews even from many Americans and Canadians where the PLCE system is quite rare. They will last for years even when abused. A lot depends on the intended use. If you need a thought all rounder your wont be disappointed if you want ultimate light weight pack this one in not for you

Last edited:

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
You can get molle panels to zip onto the sabre side zips. That'll let you expand in whatever direction and pouches you want. The Sabre takes PLCE side pouches too.

http://www.kitmonster.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/1875

I think if you want molle get the predator. the side panels are ok but your are adding weight. I am not a massive fan of molle the extra weight of it mounts up surprisingly fast. unless you are in the military I would avoid it.

Xylophile

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2015
Washington
Ive just bought one in black to match a good chunk of my gear. Then had a pm telling me there was one for sale. Typical but at least ill have one for next weekend :camping:

thanks everyone, really needed this help and you came through :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE