rucksack advise karrimor sabre 45 or predator patrol 45

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Bushcraftuk i am new to bushcraft and wild camping.
I am wanting to camp out with a bivi bag and tarp.
And want to get out as much as possible say 3 -4 days at a time.
Would a karrimor sabre 45 or predator patrol 45 be big enough
For my needs i also plan on walking a good bit on my days out
Also i am interested were i can go and try these packs out
To see if they fit right for me thanks in advance...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'd go bigger for 3 to 4 days. It's really dependant on what and how you eat, whether you need to carry water, what you're using to cook on, and most importantly, how far you're walking.

I'm by no means at the end of my bag buying, but the Lowe Alpine Sting just does all I need. From hauling out of the back of the car fully packed with the side pockets (70ltr) , to humping gear to site without (50ltr).

Do a search here, you'll find good reviews. They're getting hard to find now, and I had to settle for DPM. It's the new black don't you know :cool:

My first look here:

http://www.britishblades.com/forums...-Sting-50-70ltr-rucksack-Quick-look-plus-pics

For your needs, maybe look to go over 45ltrs, you don't have to pack tight.

Last edited:

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Both will be fine, aslong as you don't go the bulky army surplus route. Especially with the side pouches. I'd advise against the Predator 45 because the hip belt on that is just basically non existent. You want to carry your weight on your hips and not on your shoulders for comfort and to avoid back issues.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
This thread from last week will answer most of your questions on these packs.

As far as trying them out goes, look for a local meetup in your area and ask int he thread where it is being organised if any attendees can bring these packs for you to try.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have some contrary advice. Don't get hung up on getting a green bag! By which I mean, don't get fixated on the Sabre and similar packs and ignore the stuff in outdoor camping/hiking shops. Military packs look the part, and are built to be durable, but they often have other features or characteristics that are not so great. I have used a the following packs:

• Snugpak Rocket pack,
  • Sabre 45,
  • PLCE side pockets + yoke,
  • Sabre 60-100 (early version),
  • Kifaru Zulu Mk1
  • OMM Villain Mk1
  • OMM Jirishanka
  • Kifaru Tailgunner Mk1

I got rid of the Snugpak fast, the back was so short that it just about did me in, was happy enough to return the 60-100 to its owner, sold the Sabre 45 when I realised it was hardly used, and passed on the Jirishanca. The Jirishanca is the only one I am a little sorry about!

Both OMMs came to me cheap because they had straps that needed re-sewing, so I can't say that they are anything like as tough as the Sabres, but as far as nice features go, they blow the Sabres out of the water. The 45 really wasn't all that comfortable to carry, and I have done a lot better with the Zulu than I ever did with the 60-100. You really don't need 1000d Cordura most of the time! Certainly don't need IR suppressive 1000D ;) Don't need packs designed to work in conjunction with webbing and belt kits (Snugpak). You may not have the body shape of the typical soldier, so packs designed to for fit 20yo may not fit you so well.

Fit is REALLY important! More important if you are not used to carrying loads on your back. Much easier to try the fit of packs in camping shops than trying to find somewhere to try out the military style packs.

While we would all like to think that we are going to be hacking off through remote wilderness, in reality most of us don't get out for more than a week of light camping at a time and don't get the full benefit of tough, heavy gear.

45litre is enough 3-4 days but only for people who have their packing and kit all refined. 60 litres will give you more space to figure things out. You will undoubtedly pack more than you need, but the best place to learn that is while you are out, much better than not knowing what to fit into a bag that is small, and packing the wrong things.

Sorry for the ramble! Best of luck

Reactions: Malcolm Redfearn
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I have some contrary advice. Don't get hung up on getting a green bag! By which I mean, don't get fixated on the Sabre and similar packs and ignore the stuff in outdoor camping/hiking shops...."

+1 to this.

Additionally, some folks are big fans of packs with multiple pouches/pockets so that they can organise all their stuff.

That works for some but all that stitching and all those buckles do add to the weight on your back. I use Ortlieb bags (if canoeing with a rucksack) or otherwise just rubble bags from B&Q to keep my stuff organised and dry, the weight saving is huge.

Your back will thank you in later years and you'll enjoy your bimbles a little more.

:)

Monspoonmaker

Mar 15, 2014
Silures
If you still wish to go down the 'bombproof' route I would add my recommendation for the Dutch Army (Lowe Alpine) sting too.

I've had one for several years and I find it the most comfortable bag for me as well as providing flexibility of increasing/reducing capacity throughout the year. Endicotts surplus store in Exeter currently has them in stock in dpm.

If you want to push the boat out in terms of cost there is currently one available in black on ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311581511901?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT I would expect the auction to achieve a much higher price than the dpm versions as they are like hens teeth in black.

I won an auction two weeks ago from the same seller for a similar bag and it arrived in 'as new' condition within 3 days from Germany. Found them good to deal with in answering e mails etc. No connection just a happy buyer.

Good luck with your choice but you must realise it will not be your last bag purchase!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE