Karrimor sabre/predator 45

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi chaps, Has anyone used both of the above packs, I used to have the Sabre but was wondering if the two packs were massively different in comfort and sizing.
Cheers
Louis

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I found the Sabre a lot more comfortable to carry. I think the Predator was designed to be used by the military wearing webbing so I did not find it as comfortable.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I found the Sabre a lot more comfortable to carry. I think the Predator was designed to be used by the military wearing webbing so I did not find it as comfortable.

Thanks, the Sabre is quite narrow even with side pockets on, is the predator much wider?

Pioneer72

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2016
Shropshire
A friend of mine has a predator - it mainly seems more 'boxy' so has a good capacity and looks easy to pack. It looks wider than the sabre but not by much.

I thought the predator was designed the way it is in order to carry military radios and such kit, but not sure.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I would say the Sabre be more comfortable.

I use a Sabre 75l, a tad heavy, but super comfortable when loaded up :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've used both PRI and civi Predator 45 packs for a long time now; I find them the best and most comfortable of this size of pack that I've used. They are a bit shorter and wider than the Sabre but not by much even with the side pockets attached. I have a 20" torso measurement and I find mine comfortable to carry and not too high like most military packs, usually when using this pack I'll have 12 - 14 Kilo on board.

The main difference between the two, and an important one for me, is that the Predator is very much better for packing and accessing your gear. I do a lot of bramble bashing to harvest various things and for the last couple of months I've been using a bigish camera so I need to stop and get tools, lenses etc. out and put them away again and the Predator is great for that. I've never had any issues with snagging or hanging on undergrowth, either.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Molle adds surprisingly little weight to a pack, contrary to popular belief. Just imagine the weight of a couple of extra straps, albeit long ones, without the buckles - that's all molle is, after all.

I think the weight difference is down to a stronger and tougher build altogether, I haven't got a Sabre any more but I have a suspicion that the material is slightly heavier, too.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
It doesn't seem much, but that weight can easily add up.

I'd never go for the predator, and have the sabre. What was the deciding factor, was that the predator doesn't have a hip belt (it has a small strap, totally inadequate for transferring any load to your hips). That's just bad pack design. well, not bad, but as a pack in itself, it's bad, with the system, it probably works well over webbing and armor, but to use the pack on it's own: nope. If i buy a pack, i want it to be comfortable when i wear it. Wearing the weight on your shoulders vs on your hips with the shoulder straps as balancing straps and keeping the load close to your back, makes a giant difference.

sweetpea

Apr 25, 2013
Bolton UK
I have the Sabre 45 with side pockets... tons of room and comfortable.... available via Sports Direct at v good price.... worth a look no affiliation

SP

What was the deciding factor, was that the predator doesn't have a hip belt (it has a small strap, totally inadequate for transferring any load to your hips). That's just bad pack design. well, not bad, but as a pack in itself, it's bad, with the system, it probably works well over webbing and armor, but to use the pack on it's own: nope.

does that mean that wearing a tool belt (=webbing) will not work with the sabre?!

i apologize if my questions are considered as a case of "" thread hijacked"" but i'm toying with the idea of getting either a sabre or predator at some point in the future....

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
does that mean that wearing a tool belt (=webbing) will not work with the sabre?!

i apologize if my questions are considered as a case of "" thread hijacked"" but i'm toying with the idea of getting either a sabre or predator at some point in the future....

If you want to wear belt kit, definitely get a Predator. No apologies needed, these threads are for information for those that need it, eh? :)

Or use a dangler or two depending what's on your tool belt ? :)

i guess that would work for my leatherman and skinning knife, but i can't imagine it working for a canteen or larger pouches- i daresay they would end up flopping around when running (or hunting), especially when taking the pack off (i definitely dont carry any extra weight on my bones:rolleyes::rolleyes:)... .in the past i carried the tool belt in the top of my backpack on multi-day trip but that's not an ideal solution-- last year i got gifted an F1 which became my main knife since then; i made some sort of baldric/shoulder holster for it which works so far....

Joycey

Sep 26, 2016
SE London
Hi Louis, I'm currently facing the same dilemma - which one did you opt for in the end and why? Are you happy with your purchase? Russ

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU

I don't know how well the sabre goes together with webbing either, but when i carry it, it carries pretty well. Maybe a bit high on my hips, but still on the hips and transfers the weight well since it has good hip belt for that. If you want to always wear a special belt to use with the predator (Make it so that it can attach and hopefully transfer the load), you can get it, but i'd still suggest the Sabre for it's comfort in wear between the two choices and less reliance on an extra belt and the hastle of the attachment.

Reactions: nolightweight

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE