Kahtoola Microspikes: A Short Review (with several pics)

bearbait

Background
I wanted a means of improving traction for my feet for getting around in winter conditions when snowshoes weren't appropriate.

I did a fair bit of research on internet sites such as backpackgeartest.org and eventually settled on Kahtoola Microspikes.

Introduction
The Kahtoola Microspikes arrive in a box (the box has got a bit tatty with use!) measuring 8" x 5" x 2.5" (20.3cm x 12.7cm x 6.4cm). The box contained one pair of Microspikes. The Microspikes are available in Red or Black in five sizes from Extra-Small thru to Extra-Large. Each size will fit a range of boot or shoe sizes. They weigh between 11.4oz and 15.6oz (320g to 440g) according to size, these weights being from the manufacturer's website.

IMG_4416_Rcr.jpg

The Microspikes themselves consist of a flexible elastomer compound - which I'll call a bootee for want of a better word - to which the chains and spikes are fixed. The bootee fits over the toe and around the sides and heel of the boot securing the combination of chains and spikes to the sole of the boot. This combination of chains and spikes is what provides the increased level of traction and security in snow and ice conditions.

This is the upper side...
IMG_4418_cr.jpg

And the underside...
IMG_4419_cr.jpg

A closeup of the upper side with the toe end at the top...
IMG_4420_cr.jpg

And of the underside...
IMG_4430_cr.jpg

Price
Around £45, Ca$55 , US$60.

Fitting
Fitting is straightforward. The Microspike bootees are not handed, in that each will fit either boot. One end of each bootee has a metal wire. This is the front (also clearly marked on the bootee) and fits on the toe of the boot. Fitting consists of inserting the toe of the boot into the front of the bootee and then stretching the bootee around and up the side and heel of the boot ensuring a snug fit. This can be done with little difficulty whilst wearing the boots by balancing on one leg (if you are Ian Anderson), or leaning against a suitable tree, hiking pole or conveniently adjacent hiking buddy/buddess. Indeed, it seems easier to fit them whilst wearing your boots.

The elastomer bootee seems very slightly tacky or sticky; I guess this, along with the elasticity, helps it stick to or grip the boot.

IMG_4426_Rcr.jpg

IMG_4427_cr.jpg

The underside of the boot showing a) two spikes at the toe, b) two spikes at each side of the ball of the foot, c) two spikes in the centre, just behind the ball of the boot, and d) two spikes under the heel.
IMG_4428_cr.jpg

Removal
Removal is the opposite: pull the bootee off the heel, under the sole of your boot and off the toe. A quick shake to remove most of the ice and snow, clip them to your pack with a carabiner, and you're back on your boots' own traction.

Experience
They are quick and easy to fit and remove. They do what it says on the tin: some of trails I've done in the microspikes were just about untenable in regular hiking boots: trails on even a slight, or especially compound, gradient where the snow has melted/frozen/melted/frozen, and similarly trails over rocky outcrops covered in ice. Even with a hiking pole I couldn't - and didn't - get along these in regular boots (upright!). With the Microspikes donned I was secure and hiking at almost my regular speed.

Going up or down steep slopes I've not noticed any "give" in the bootee: I have never felt that the spikes are gripping the terrain while my foot stretches the bootee. In fact I think the metal wire over the toe of the boot helps with this, preventing the bootee from expanding when forward pressure comes on from your foot and momentum.

Advantages
You don't need a rigid boot as you do for many crampons. Indeed Kahtoola's website shows them fitted to a pair of trainers (sneakers or runners for those from the former colonies :)). I have not tried them on my trainers.

They are quite compact and take up little pack space. I keep mine in a small plastic box (about 7" x 5" x 2.5" - 17.8cm x 12.7cm x 6.4cm) in or on my pack so the spikes don't damage the pack or any softer gear.

Disadvantages
To be honest I can't really think of any.

Alternatives and Comparisons
There are a number of alternatives available, some looking of variable effectiveness. However I have not tried any other devices like these (other than regular climbing crampons on rigid boots) so I can't comment from my own experience. A google search using the terms "foot traction aids", "foot traction devices" and "instep crampons" will provide you with some offerings such as Yaktrax, Icetrekkers, Stabilicers.

Conclusion
I'm very pleased with my Kahtoola Microspikes. They're not the cheapest but they seem to be built to last. I've not come across any terrain yet (that I want to attempt!) where I've found the Microspikes were lacking in any way. In particular I like the ability in the forest to move from snow and ice to regular bare frozen and unfrozen trail and back again without perceiving the need to remove the spikes, even though they're only a few seconds to put on and take off. On harder-packed winter trails I've been known to remove my snowshoes and replace them with the Microspikes as I seem to have as much traction and can move faster than on snowshoes. In fact if I'm hiking snowy trails or trails with doubtful traction I always take both my snowshoes and my Microspikes for flexibility. I certainly prefer to use my Microspikes over snowshoes for descending steep packed and icy slopes, when the snowshoes feel like they're about to turn into skis! The Microspikes are light and take up little pack space. When (if) these wear out I shall get another pair. Nuff said!

Caution
These are not technical climbing crampons; they're designed to give hikers on regular trails, or people clearing their driveway or walking the dog, extra grip in winter conditions. And they do that very well.

IMG_4429_cr.jpg

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Great review thanks for posting.

During the snow I played around with several types of shoe spikes. We had compacted snow and ice at ground level for about six weeks so they became a permanent fixture on my shoes and boots.

The conclusion was that for about-town use, the Yak-trak coil-type are superb as they give enough grip on hard packed easy gradient ice but can be worn indoors as well (ie in and out of shops)

For rough shooting in very deep snow and melting snow slush and mud, I found that a design was needed where the shoe/boot spike can he strapped securely to the boot, otherwise they get sucked off in the mud. I found the Grivel instep spikes with straps best for this.

I saw quite a few people with these Micro-spikes on and they seemed very pleased with them.

Of course, now my winter tyres have finally been delivered, we will have five years with no snow...

Last edited:

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I'm very chuffed with mine, no problems. Used them all the time in the bad weather.

I did by the ebay cheepo ones to start with, but if your size is 8+ they broke easily as the stretch was too much and the chains broke. (Advertised as one size fits all, wrong). They were ok for my wife and my mum who have little feet.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've been looking at these for a while, but wasn't convinced they were up to the job til now, thanks for the excellent review ;)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I bought a set of these through a mate in the US last February ... just as the snow all melted. I was wondering if I was ever going to get to use them but I needn't have worried. They have been an absolute godsend this winter and - as the OP states - have been superb in use. I tried a few types and these are the only ones that haven't fallen apart.

I would point out one disadvantage: as the spikes are metal and about 7-8mm in length, you can feel them through your shoes when walking on hard ground or pavement. This can be uncomfortable over prolonged periods. They really come into their own on packed snow or ice, however.

They are pretty much the most expensive type of 'shoe-crampon' out there but, as is often the case, you get what you pay for.

Me and the missus took them everywhere this winter and didn't fall or slip once. Can't say fairer than that.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE