Just took a trip down the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Liam1811

Banned
Mar 10, 2009
Kent, England
I just took a trip down the woods, is about 300-400 yards away from me and I really enjoyed it, however I couldn't see any tracks and well if I did I obviously didn't notice them and I did not really see much wildlife, but maybe I am not looking properly. I could hear but not see the birds. Does anyone know of any tracking books or websites that I can look at to find information on tracking and how to learn and what kind of wildlife would you expect to see in your average wood?

I would agree with Simon there take a while to just sit still. As for tracks I think it takes a while to tune into them and if your on paths its very hard one thing with tracking is you have to have your eyes on the ground all the time and you tend to miss everything else going on ,,, well I do :)

Bulldog

Mar 26, 2009
kent
Try an early morning trip mate, look for game runs in the morning due over grass, also first light sitting quietly listening to the dawn chourus from the birds is a loverly way to start the day

Why not go on some guided walks by your local ranger service? This will give you a good but basic insite into birds and other wildlife and hopefully by going on these walks you will be shown things that you have missed. This will also point you in the right direction to get started.

I think we are all too often spoiled by the wildlife progs on the squakbox. People often starting out expect what they see on springwatch in their local woods and often don't realise how hard it is to watch even common animals like our fox. An awful lot of hard work/technology and long hours go into these progs which is different from a wee walk in your woods.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Dont try look for the animals. Fix your vision on a point and let your peripharals pick up the movement. That is the most effective way by far especially for finding birds in a wood.

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
As above. If you go trundling about the woods, the wildlife will have a constant update on your whereabouts.
Better to find a nice spot and just sit. Let them come to you.
You will come to learn their habits and judge where might be a better spot to see something in particular.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Another thing to think about is how quiet or noisy you are when moving. The recent dry weather means "my" woods are coated with very dry and noisy dead leaves, add to that my clumsy feet and heavy boots and it can sound like I'm walking on a carpet of crisp packets. Trying to walk quietly in this setting takes a lot of time and effort, paying attention to what's on the ground, where you're going to put each foot, how gently you step. At first you'll find yourself concentrating so much on this that you'll miss out on anything else.

Another useful thing is to learn the alarm calls of relevant birds species, ie those which live or feed on the ground, since they're likely to view you as a predator but can also tell you who else is in the forest or fields.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE