Just thinking-losing interest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
A few years back I found myself dragged off on a quick break down to Argyll with family and friends, rather reluctantly it must be said as I was working away at that time so time at home was a precious resource not to be squandered lightly.

Our hostess is an old pal of mine from my climbing days, she's was also a pal of my girlfriends, independent of me and so it was great to catch up with her and the part of her gang I hadn't met and that thawed my initial reluctance.

Anyway, on the schedule was swimming in the local loch a spot of fire building cooking. My old pal mentioned to me quietly as we made our way slowly up the single track; "the boys are into Bushcraft!".

My pal's boys and my now assimilated assorted posse of daughter and friends eyed me suspiciously as they got in about getting a fire going, "we're doing bushcraft dad". Of course I had the rod with me and had already asked locally regarding a cast so I set about seeing if I could turn up a fish and left them to it. Old guys/dad seemingly had little to offer the aspirant bushcrafter gang.

Mean while the kids, under the watchful eye of the other adults, were happily cooking up a few bushcraft sausages with marshmallow chasers and nipping off for a swim.

My bushcraft cred was taking a turn for the better when I reappeared with a brace of particularly lovely, dark red flesh :p that said lime stone lochs through and through, brownies 30mins or so later, that got more than a little attention as apparently the loch had spurned all previous bushcraft-gang attempts.

So cred now established it was a short leap of faith for the kids to trust the bread twists I was knocking up for them over the fire, butter and strawberry jam helped wonderfully in that regard, as did the bushcraft "twist hotdogs", an improvised delicacy made possible by finding a stick the rough diameter of the beef bangers we'd with us, all served with lashings of bushcraft tomato ketchup.

We had a great time, I caught enough fish for all the adults to enjoy a delicacy, that I regard as the pinnacle of the wild food stuffs (and you can't buy these in the shops ;) if you want one; one has to catch ones own), the following evening and the kids learned a few more cooking tricks. Actually on the last day the kids had an unsupervised cook off in the back garden and produced lunch for the adults, without burning themselves or the county.

That was the first time I'd ever heard the word "bushcraft" used outside the context of a TV show. At some point my daughter asked me, as the boys wanted to know, where I learned to get good at bushcraft; "Why, in the bush of course".

I have to say; I really enjoyed myself, as did we all...... Sometimes things we take for granted and perhaps regard as a little passe can be reanimated by stuff like this. As a boy my granny's boyfriend, uncle Jim, would often take my brother and I off on a ramble through the wilds of lanarkshire when the granny took us down to his for a few days, we always ended up sitting round a fire and sausages always produced from Jim's seemingly bottomless pockets. It felt good to be able to reciprocate.

Last edited:

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
The problem for many of us is the availability of space to do anything. It is very very easy to end up as a back garden bushcrafter simply due to a lack of available spaces to pitch a tarp and light a real fire. This is something I am very much guilty of. In many ways I do think much of what we do is a form of re-enactment of times past and proving to ourselves that in an imaginary England that no longer exists we could at least to some extent take care of ourselves in the great out doors with just the stuff we carry with us. This "playing" can wear thin sometimes though. I think all night fishing at least has the benefit of having more of a sense of purpose to it that the average bloke in the street can understand.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Know what you mean.

I used to sail. Took it up after a knee injury put paid to my playing rugby ever again. Sailed every weekend and most holidays and was passionate about it - even used to do yacht deliveries and suchlike. Then two things happened - I got married and moved inland. SWMBO loved walking and I'd done it all my life so I got heavily (sic!) into lightweight backpacking. From there it was a short step into bushcraft.

I still get an occasional hankering after a boat (I've just built a canoe!) but I don't really miss it (somebody said that to experience sailing you just have to stand under a cold shower tearing up £10 notes…) and I think it's natural to move from one thing to another.

But - nothing is ever wasted: e.g. the navigation I learned at sea is useful in the hills and forests (especially compass work.)

For me, Bushcraft encompasses so many other things - walking, wildlife spotting, making stuff, camping, foraging, fishing, etc.etc. that some aspect of it always maintains my interest while others wane. And - it doesn't stop me being interested in other things (we don't have to be obsessive about this!:)) so, for instance, I am an archery coach, I play guitar and sing in a choir. And there we come the full circle 'cos there's this guy in my choir who has a small yacht and is looking for crew...

Finally: as others have said - don't sell all the kit! You'd be amazed at what little sparks can rekindle your interest. (Unless, of course, you want to sell all it to me at a knock-down price…:))

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Yeah, I get the same feeling from time to time. Not been out much this year for one reason or another. Got bored going to the same bit of woods. Didn't feel like bushcraft, more like a weekend sat round a fire. But then after a while, I just got back out there and did it again. This time somewhere new. It felt good and more connected than it had recently.

Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing and you need to take a break. Personally I have phases of interest through bushcraft, which seems to keep me in the realm of bushcraft.

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
Me too, I have 3 kids and a busy job it's hard for me to just up and go camping, my mate Carl keeps asking me to do stuff and I feel I keep letting him down , my son has started to show a interest so hopefully I can get out more with him,

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I think in the real world the only way you can get away and spend every weekend in the woods is if you are either young with no commitments like I use to or you choose it over spending time with the kids etc or retired maybe or if your lucky enough you can get the family involed.
im late 20's and the past few years for me have been prioritised by my two companies my baby daughter and moving up the property ladder, I still spend a few nights out but to be honest I'd rather spend my spare time with my family and building a comfortable life.
Most of my life is bushcraft related in the way I put a bushcraft spin on things, weather it's out with the dogs, fishing off the woodland edge with my stove and tarp setup or family walks with a picnic In the woods, and I'm fortunate that iv built a Green oak company which incorparates bushcraft aswell,
lots a lot more than just swinging In a tarp every Saturday night intact I probly do more bushcraft related things now than ever but without all the nights away which is great.
whatever makes you happy mate

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The Bushy thing for me was a way to combine a few of my interests and facilitate a few others.

It has enabled me to fulfil a few long held objectives like travelling to the Arctic and the Saami Market at Jokkmokk but this last year when Debs was taken ill I re-evaluated a great deal of my life.

I suspect travel will play a much bigger part in our lives from now on. There are so many places we still want to see and I guess some times "bushcraft" will be a big part of that but other times it may be less so.

I'm not sure I ever saw the point of "Bushcraft" just for it's own sake. For me it's always been a part of something else.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE