Just mulling over some ideas..Bergens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Afternoon all,

I'm looking at getting something hard-wearing to carry my stuff about whilst wild camping etc and with a shoestring budget I'm drawn to eBay's ex British army Bergens...

I know they're monsters, especially with the side pouches and although I don't fancy being being a carthorse and taking anything and everything I own, they do go for pretty cheap compared to things like the karrimor sabre etc and I'm struggling to balance the pros and cons of something smaller and more expensive ... and I figure it'll last me many years, unlike an equivalently priced brand new something or other..

Being 6'6" I'd imagine long back would be a must...Plus the wife and the dog will join me on occasion, so extra room for some of their gear is probably handy...

Anyone able to talk me out of it and onto something better?

Reactions: Van-Wild

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
For my last trip I acquired an 88L highlander forced rucksack, used for £17 posted. I believe they have a less 'military' style bag called the rambler, but virtually the same. I got lucky with mine, but £30 should get you one. Adjustable back length on it will deffo suit you.

You won't need to pay extra for side pouches then, which will likely cost atleast £20.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Thanks, I will have a look.

A lot of the used Bergens on eBay for instance come with pouches on the side. In the first instance I'd have to have a look at setting it up and whether it's beneficial to use them for easy access stuff and have a less full pack, or stick them in a drawer and put everything in the pack. I have visions of me using pouches for particular things, and therefore when I'm doing some seaside stuff, I'll make sure to bring the sea pouches etc... But chances of having that level of organisation is probably slightly slim..

Any recommendations on where I can look? I've had a look online in general and a lot of the shops seem a bit pricier over eBay. (Sounding like a rep for that website now!!!)

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
Afternoon all,

I'm looking at getting something hard-wearing to carry my stuff about whilst wild camping etc and with a shoestring budget I'm drawn to eBay's ex British army Bergens...

I know they're monsters, especially with the side pouches and although I don't fancy being being a carthorse and taking anything and everything I own, they do go for pretty cheap compared to things like the karrimor sabre etc and I'm struggling to balance the pros and cons of something smaller and more expensive ... and I figure it'll last me many years, unlike an equivalently priced brand new something or other..

Being 6'6" I'd imagine long back would be a must...Plus the wife and the dog will join me on occasion, so extra room for some of their gear is probably handy...

I only have plce, longback with rockets with yolk for a 30ltr daysack, assault vest and a radio pack. All cheap as chips, virtually indestructible with 100% versatility. Plce gets my vote

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I've owned and used a huge amount of civvie and surplus bags - the PLCE one is a classic and, while not the most comfortable ever it is a great size, unburstable and a great price. You can cinch the side straps down to make it smaller, so no need to carry 120 liters of gear every trip :) I've gone back to using this pack as it's great to not have to origami your gear in when in a hurry. Just chick it all in and squash it down :)
Don't bother with a short back, a seriously uncomfortable pack (unless you're wearing webbing!!) a long back is a no-brainer, treat yourself.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
A smaller (and better IMO) option would be a second hand Berghaus Cyclops Roc. They usually go for £40-£50 and hold 70 litres which is plenty. The Roc is a much more comfortable carry than the issue bergan and comes in different back sizes. You can also pick up second hand Crusaders/ Vulcans for a bit more cash. You might have to wait a while but they do crop up regularly on eBay.

Reactions: DocG

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I know I asked for this... But both the "go for it" seeds and the "doubt" seeds are sewn !!

Just wait until I check out new boots!

Appreciating the input guys!

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
The PLCE Bergen will last for years due to the material and build quality. You do pay for that in weight however and even empty they are significantly heavier than civilian packs.
Without the side pouches they are about 90ltrs and comfortable enough to carry.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've used them for years - good design, and as mentioned plenty above, exceptionally strong and dependable. But they really aren't the most comfortable - long back or otherwise, the waist belt is there more for stability purposes (and to stop the bergen sliding off the back of your webbing) than actually allowing the transfer of weight from your shoulders to your hips.

A great bag for carrying a light load, or a heavy load a few hundred meters from the car, but longer than that it certainly wouldn't be my choice.

The Berghaus offerings mentioned above would get my vote, and also an ex dutch army copy of the Lowe Alpine saracen (i have this, used it in the military for years, and its absolutely fantastic. Bigger than the PLCE bergen, adjustable length back, decent hip belt, and takes the PLCE side pouches. e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Gra...904051?hash=item4db5486bb3:g:H48AAOSwB3Vfhvn~

and the slightly smaller (PLCE bergen equivalent size): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original...DPM-Camo-Ruck-Sack-Bag-Bergen-2-/323639354297

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
'Highlander kit, sorry wouldn’t recommend it to anyone based purely on the feel and look of it'

Highlander are definitely a cheaper brand. But throwing a recommendation based on 'looks' and 'feel' is a bit pointless, rather than based on experience and substance. For what I paid I consider them good value.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Thanks for the many suggestions guys! I'm loving this site more and more!

I'm quite liking this actually. It looks less of a monster than the standard Bergen, which might make me look less ridiculous for small wonders around.

I do have a small "schoolbag" sized bag which I take on most dog walks... for carrying water.. and the wife's jumper that she says she doesn't need prior to the walk but then needs later...or says she needs then doesn't haha.. but even that's reach its limit after many years..

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@santaman2000

Thanks for the tip. I think that's where I basically am at the moment, I don't know exactly what I want or need and I figure if I start rugged I'm less likely to wreck it on the usual "off piste" ventures I end up getting myself into, then if it turns out to be too heavy or whatever I'll figure it out from there.... Not planning on any mass treks anytime soon anyway.

Reactions: santaman2000

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Afternoon all,

Just a quick one..... whats your budget?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@Van-Wild I've seen some of the long back Bergens for somewhere around £30, but then I am tempted by the smaller Dutch pack, seen one for £60. I need a few other bits so I'd rather keep lower prices lower where I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Van-Wild

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE