Just interested, any climbers here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
been climbing for about a month (indoors, unfortunately) and really enjoy it - don't really know anything which matches it for physical and mental challenge. just wondered if there are any climber here. Give us a shout.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I use to do alot mate mainly bouldering, realy enjoyed it some scary moments though, always enjoyed indoor climbing too quite a few places around derbyshire. When i was about 15 i trained nearly everyday but not been for a few years now mate.
Cheers ash

Did lots of climbing (indoors and out) a few years back. Only get chance to do it occassionally now but still love that mix of physical challenge, test of nerve and the satisfaction gained knowing you've pushed yourself and improved your skills. And of course it's a whole new world of nice shiny gear! I'm willing to bet that lots of folk on here are, or have been, climbers.

I'm more of a mountaineer than a pure rock climber. Too short to ever have really pushed the grades. Leading HVS was about my limit. Winter mixed routes is a great way to test yourself.

Yeah I'm too short too (although my mates all told me skill makes up for height - but they were all much taller than me!) Never really worried about pushing grades, certainly not outdoors. I'd rather do a fairly easy multi pitch route somewhere amazing (Tryfan comes to mind) with fantastic views, than beast myself up ultra-technical routes in a quarry or indoors.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Been climbing and mountaineering on and off for about 20 years. Although I do enjoy the odd climbing wall session I'm more into big mountain trad routes.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Been climbing and mountaineering on and off for about 20 years. Although I do enjoy the odd climbing wall session I'm more into big mountain trad routes.

Sounds pretty much like me, although I haven't climbed for a few years due to working away from home and injuries to shoulders and elbows. Now that I'm working near home though, and my joints seem to be in the best condition they've been in for years, I'm really looking forward to a hard winter. I'm just glad that I sprayed my ice screws with WD40 after my last trip to Rjuken 4 years ago.

I don't know how old you are Gotte, but don't ignore the good advice you get to warm up before your wall sessions. I could have saved myself years of pain if I'd have listened.

Cheers, Michael.

iotarho

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2009
Tunbridge Wells
Yeah I'm too short too (although my mates all told me skill makes up for height - but they were all much taller than me!) Never really worried about pushing grades, certainly not outdoors. I'd rather do a fairly easy multi pitch route somewhere amazing (Tryfan comes to mind) with fantastic views, than beast myself up ultra-technical routes in a quarry or indoors.​
My partner was in the British Sport climbing team, and she was shorter than me (impressive as that is), and I can vouch that skill/good power to weight ratio really does get you places. I've just got back into climbing the last couple of years after a couple of years out due to a recurrent tendon injury and hoping to get into the mountaineering/winter climbing scene! Being at university in Aberystwyth gives me lots of lovely opportunities to go climbing up in North Wales too - so if anybody ever needs a partner up there, I'm game!

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Hi Gotte, I've been rock climbing since my mid teens and used to climb at least 3 times a week. Since having kids though I've spent less time climbing but getting back into it again (with the kids now old enough to join in). My wife climbs too and really enjoys it although can't quite get her head around knots etc so I have the fun of setting up all the belays.

As well as being members of an indoor climbing centre, we're lucky enough to have a good crag less than a mile away with a good mix of routes up to E1.

Hoping next year we'll be spending a bit more time out climbing. My kids started leading routes last year although just single pitch so far.

Definitely a great fun activity and a fantastic combination of physical and mental endurance.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I climb trees occasionally and solely for recreation ie I am not a tree surgeon - generally easier to get to and the climbing is in 3D.

I enjoyed the (one) go I had at climbing a cliff face but prefer being up amongst the brances

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Yep,my biggest passion was climbing, reckon I'm semi-retired from it now. Started at Swanage and Portland (before it was in vouge) I spent several years doing nothing but, sometimes 7 days a week, thank god for the Enterprise Allowance :) fortnightly trips to N. Wales, Peak District and trips to France.
Sinced I moved up here I hardly get out on the crag, partner, child, cottage renovation, an acre to mantain and injuries have changed the priorities, wouldn't swap it for anything now.
Now that winter has properly arrived here, 2" + of snow and still falling, I will be sorting out my winter rack :)

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
There's a really good crag on my doorstep, Thorn Crag, apparently its one of the best bits of rock in the North of England. My 3 year old son is dead keen to have a go at bouldering so I'll have a wander up on a nice day and give it a go.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was a climber and used to instruct at various outdoor centres - great fun!
I never realy got into indoor climbing - for me half the game was facing natural challenges and the weather, apreciating the view and the wildlife and the sense of conecting with nature.
The indor stuff is just gym work by comparison :)
These days my "power to weight" ratio is shot, the knees painful and my dodgy eye all mean that climbing (like caving) are relagated to my past...
But I still have my helmet and harness......

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Been climbing since the 80's - haven't been to a wall for ages, but take kids out on a regular basis to scramble around the Roaches or up a face at Windgather. I live about a mile from kinder downfall, so am looking forward to a spot of ice this winter..

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I spent several years doing nothing but, sometimes 7 days a week, thank god for the Enterprise Allowance :) :)

Ahh, I remember the Enterprise Allowance Scheme. I did it twice, which probably says something about my business acumen. I seem to remember the funniest thing was the interview to confirm you were in business. I was a commercial artist, living at home with my parents, and the guy basically sat in my bedroom and looked at my artwork and asked if I'd sold any, and I'd said, "well, it's a tricky business, art," and that was that.

Great days.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I was a climber and used to instruct at various outdoor centres - great fun!
I never realy got into indoor climbing - for me half the game was facing natural challenges and the weather, apreciating the view and the wildlife and the sense of conecting with nature.
The indor stuff is just gym work by comparison :)
These days my "power to weight" ratio is shot, the knees painful and my dodgy eye all mean that climbing (like caving) are relagated to my past...
But I still have my helmet and harness......

I've not done any outdoor climbing, but have tried the walls indoors without features (the ones which are modelled, however loosely, on rock), and have to say I much prefer it. There is something much superior to a chimney or wall which doesn;t broadcast that there will be a hand hold here and a foot hold there, however small and difficult depending on the grade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE