Just got one of these....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
Just got one of these Swiss cooking units for day treks and one man work as my 2.5 pint kelly kettle is not exactly small in my day sack. Tryed it last night using wood and took 10 mins to heat the bottle up, will try hexi and meths today and see what the heating times are for it. Anyone used one before??? It came from Endicotts and is very well priced(Thanks Kev).

cook_volcano_swiss_set_2.jpg

cook_volcano_swiss.jpg

Regards

Jay

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I bought one for my daughter about three weeks ago (from Endi's) (Thanks Kev) and have used it several times with wood etc and we love it! I made a lid from a large fruit can and screwed a wooden knob on it . It fits the mug snugly and helps with the boiling time. It's ingenious.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the various other fuels - keep us posted.
I spent some time the other day making up a couple of old shoe polish tin burners (coiled corrigated cardboard soaked in wax) to trial them with the Swiss stove, and will post my results when I get a chance to use it.

Magentus

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm, independant discovery of a good shiny :D

There are a few threads about these on the forum, even a group buy or two :cool:
Spikey da pikey did one about using a teaball containing cotton wool balls soaked in meths........surprisingly effective.

Originally the stoves were intended to be used with little gel fuel stoves slipped into the base.

The small gourmet cat foot tins filled with corrugated card and scrap wax work well in them though.

I've had my Swiss stove for several years now and it's still a good thing :D
Neat idea on the cup lid, I have one for my crusader cup but never thought about one for this mug.........think I need to go and see if Warthog1981 us up for a barter :)

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Toddy - silly question, but what is the best way to light the cat food tin burners? I made two earlier this week from old shoe polish tins, but had difficulty lighting them. I had to dash off to work so haven't had a chance to properly investigate yet.

Here's a pic of the lid;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11980281@N03/3450136534/

Magentus

Don't fill them too full of wax :eek: Otherwise they're a real footer to light. We've been trying to use up the ones I made too full at the Scottish Meet ups, just burning them in the fire for extra light.
Basically remember to leave enough cardboard sticking up to act like a long wiggly wick. Then a match or a lighter works fine to start them,

atb,
Toddy

tweeders

May 7, 2009
Co Antrim
hi wolf_diver,
i know it's off topic, kind of, but.........
i'm thinking about getting a kelly kettle, the 1 pint one,
what do you think of yours?

giz

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2007
devon
Just got one of these Swiss cooking units for day treks and one man work as my 2.5 pint kelly kettle is not exactly small in my day sack. Tryed it last night using wood and took 10 mins to heat the bottle up, will try hexi and meths today and see what the heating times are for it. Anyone used one before??? It came from Endicotts and is very well priced(Thanks Kev).

cook_volcano_swiss_set_2.jpg

cook_volcano_swiss.jpg

Regards

Jay

hi just thinking is the bottle the same size as a sigg one ltr bottle that would make a nice combo

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
Hi Tweeders sorry for the late reply, but i love my kelly kettle, just would love to own a smaller one as the 2.5 pint one is big for a day trip. get one you will love it.

Jay

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE