Just got my Swedish M39 rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Just received this from an eBay purchase (about £12 delivered):

2010-10-06%2021.22.59.jpg

2010-10-06%2021.23.36.jpg

It's in pretty good nick - no holes and most of the leather is supple. I have a couple of questions, however:

• What would be the best way to restore a couple of straps that have cracked slightly?
  • As it's canvas, I was thinking of waterproofing it somehow - has anyone done this before, and should I just use Nikwax or somesuch?

I really like it (though I haven't used it outside yet); it has a certain 1940s-paratrooper feel to it with the mass of leather straps.

Very grateful for any tips :D

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Have you read this thread? That's the way I went with mine but I haven't really had it tested in the rain yet. Mine is here.

One downside of the leather straps is that they are not instantly adjustable so be prepared for lots of stops when you first load it up.

Z

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Great packs, you'll enjoy using it no end. The main right strap broke at the base of mine last week. Gutted but it will be lovingly fixed. I treated most of the straps with mink oil when I got it and some of them were really dry and cracked. I didn't treat the one that just broke as it looked fine. Lesson learned! Do them all=happy days. I haven't proofed mine yet but I've always meant to. These packs are going surprisingly cheap for a quality piece of history!

Sep 24, 2010
UK
Thanks for the tips guys!
Not sure I'm going to have time to fully wax the canvas before my trip, but I should have some time to help the leather out somewhat. Is oil a better idea than wax for the straps?
If so, what commonly available oil/wax would be best? :)

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Thats a mint looking pack Throlkim, i use mine all the time. I treated the canvas on mine with Nikwax and the straps with Lincoln Neatsfoot oil,worked for me.Cheers.
Daz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE