just got my first knife kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xander

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2011
bedford england
my first EnZo knife kit arrived today :)
and as im completely new to making anything like this i was hoping for some guidance :)
i know i have to tape up the blade so i dont cut myself or get glue on it
other than that im at a bit of a loss lol
newknifekit.jpg

should i glue on the handle befor i shape it or shape it then glue ????
thanks

xan

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I got one of these a little while ago. First thing i did was tape the blade for safety. Next i did a trail fitnto make sure everything was ok, then using the slow setting Araldite i covered the blade handle, liners and slabs and just fitted them together. With the bolts be very carefull not to over tighten them as i did and snapped one.i also filled the holes with glue before tightening them to help hold it together.

Next i wrapped mine with elastic bands and left for two days to set hard, after that just take your time shaping the slabs to your required size. TBH there almost fully shaped already, just a little trimming top end a and bottom.

I love my Trapper and its bloody sharp so be carefull mate and enjoy. The only thing that lets these kits down is the sheath thats why im getting an aftermarket one.

John

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
should i glue on the handle befor i shape it or shape it then glue ????
thanks

xan

A little of both.

Marry the slabs to dry fit them and you will be able to see whether they need much/any material removed to flush them to the tang.

Once you get them close, glue it up.

Use slow set epoxy and cut an edge onto the end of a lolly stick to scrape the excess glue away a few minutes after you clamp it up.

Don't go nuts with clamps. There should be enough pressure from the bolts without needing loads of extra clamps.

Ideally the joint should require very little cleanup provided you prep it properly and take most of the excess glue out of the picture before it cures.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I saw this the other day, the only thing i didnt do was remove the bead blast finish as i prefere the satin finish and think it will help protect it a little.
IMG-20110415-00032.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE