Just got back from the Crannog

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
WOW! Such ... pure mischief ... reflected in the faces of those youngsters in the "support crew"! Especially the one in the red cape. I bet they had at least as good a time as you did.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Yup Mike, the one in the red cape is Cameron, my grandson. Takes after his grandpappy does young Cameron.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Just like to say that we both had a great time, Liz now knows why i used to enjoy these weekends so much.

Thanks to everyone for making us both so welcome, and especially Toddy for taking Liz under her wing, Eric for the leaather craft, Graham for sorting my knife out, again :eek: and Russ for the spoon.

Just can't wait for the next one now :rolleyes:

Dave

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Driftwood it was good to meet you, and welcome to the forum :D

Dave, Mrs Morch is very welcome :cool:
Anyone who makes real bread from scratch, cooks it over an open fire, who when told at the crack of day that there was a fresh road kill deer, replies, " We could have that." then helps me lift it and calmly sets about butchering it, fits right in :approve: Besides, she's good company. :D
atb,
Mary

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Thanks for the clarification on the butchering. Having done my share of ... roadkill ... I know the joys and disappointments of those first few cuts. You never quite know what you'll find inside.

I've also done my share of butchering from rabbits/squirrels on up through pigs/hogs, and even a couple beef. It's a lot of work, but the end result is worth it. Still working on a really good sausage recipe though. And to answer that other question: YES, I know where my "once bloody" meat comes from!

I also know those "time pressures" of getting certain things done and out of sight before the public arrives. Most would handle the butchering without problems, and probably with a bunch of really good questions. But some "shocker moms" would go ballistic and the sight! Especially after seeing the reactions (good, bad, and waaaay too interested) of their little weebles.

What are "Shocker moms" and "weebles"? Those moms from the cities with little kids in tow who are SHOCKED at anything THEY think might upset their precious little tykes. And they get even more horrified when they see the interest or pleasure of their little tykes at seeing those things. So everything needs to be cleaned up and sanitized to fit into their "tellytubby" fantasy world. Shocker moms.

Eric, have fun ... tempering ... the enthusiasm of that lad - and the the rest of that "pack" - down to a ... um ... err ... semi-safe level (if there is such a thing).

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Really disappointed that I couldn't manage to get up at the weekend...sounds like everyone had a great time...the pictures are great.

Do you know if there's another planned for the end of the year as there was last Nov?

Vince

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well I'm booked ot come up and work again on the 30th November, St. Andrew's Night, if the weather looked good we could probably persuade Barrie, especially if we did a batch of hurdling for her.......
We 'could' go all traditional, menfolk in sarks and plaids and the girls in skirts, bodices and arisaids :cool:
Haggis, neeps, tatties, clootie dumpling, shortbread and the cratur..........honey and cheese and oatcakes, salmon and venison and rowan jelly .............where's Liz ? :D
Farquhar and company to stir up the music and we'd be set :D :approve:

Hmmmmm

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A sark is a shirt, for a woman it became the chemise with a lower cut neckline but menfolk still wear a sark. A man's sark is thigh length while a woman's reaches to below her knees; Burn's "Cutty Sark" was wearing one too short and showing an awful lot of leg ;)

cheers,
M

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Sorry it's taken a wee while to post these photos, but here they are,

DSCN0847.jpg

DSCN0848.jpg

DSCN0849.jpg

DSCN0853.jpg

DSCN0854.jpg

DSCN0855.jpg

DSCN0856.jpg

jon

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Well I'm booked ot come up and work again on the 30th November, St. Andrew's Night, if the weather looked good we could probably persuade Barrie, especially if we did a batch of hurdling for her.......
We 'could' go all traditional, menfolk in sarks and plaids and the girls in skirts, bodices and arisaids :cool:
Haggis, neeps, tatties, clootie dumpling, shortbread and the cratur..........honey and cheese and oatcakes, salmon and venison and rowan jelly .............where's Liz ? :D
Farquhar and company to stir up the music and we'd be set :D :approve:

Hmmmmm

cheers,
Toddy

That sounds like a plan, would be up for that, it was a pitty I couldn't make it this weekend. You all looked to be having a great time.

Cheers

JFW

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
A sark is a shirt, for a woman it became the chemise with a lower cut neckline but menfolk still wear a sark. A man's sark is thigh length while a woman's reaches to below her knees; Burn's "Cutty Sark" was wearing one too short and showing an awful lot of leg ;)

cheers,
M

So, it's a bit like a kirtle then? But with a wee collar? I tried Googling for an image but all I got was Cutty Sark and Alderney and Sark.

Eric

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I just got back, no pictures unfortunately. My camera died as soon as I turned it on :(
It just needed new batteries though.
Katy and I had a great time. We left early on the Sunday as we had another campsite to go to and I wanted to get fully set up in decent time.
As always, Thanks to Toddy for arranging it, Barrie for having us, and Liz for feeding us :D
Can't wait for the next one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE