Just found myself an axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
Ive just found this while out in the local woods, it had clearly been sitting there for a while, its a bit beat up but the actual head seems ok, the only markings on the head are "Elwell 2 1/4" and it also has stamped "2 1/4" on the top as well, I had to clean it up with a wire brush to be able to see them, funnily enough ive been looking for a backpacking axe in the last week or so and ended up buying an Estwing campers axe but its larger than I thought it would be and the head is not straight so I don't think ill keep it, so if this head is of good quality then it may be exactly what i need.

so what do you guys think is it worth re handling it and cleaning it up a bit? this could be a nice little project if it is, Ive never re handled an axe before.

Very tasteful handle choice

Thats a nail in the top

Last edited:

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Yep she is a keeper!

Should scrub up fine

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
Yep seems Elwell's are good axes

What handle length do you think will match the head weight? im after a backpacking axe so if it would not be too heavy on say a 16"-20" handle then perfect no need to buy another axe, what do you guys think?

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thats def a keeper, and worth doing up, just file the Poll up to get rid of the mushroom, where its been hit with a hammer, put it in something like Vinegar for a few hours to clean the head, when you take it out make sure you oil it up or it will start to rust straight away.

Helve length well thats up to you, but I would go for 18" to 24",

The cutting edge looks good quite good as well,

Go for it... and do a little write up

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Good clean up, file here and there and a nice edge and it will be a lovely tool.
Just before you rip out that handle and make a new shine one ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE