Just found a great new tool for bevelling the edge leather.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Started work again this evening on a sheath for my new knife, after wet forming over night (last night) with the knife wrapped in cling film and sandwiched between some foam in the vice.

I stuck to edges with double sided tape, cut and trimmed to shape the cleaned up on the sander. This left a nice clean edge to the leather but the edges needed to sharp corners taking off – bevelling???

Not having any leather working tool to speak of and having tried to trim the edges before using a scalpel/craft knife with poor results I started to look round for a simple solution?

And here it is, something most of us will have……………

…………….A Razor!

With the “lube strip” removed it works just like as small planner and the with careful practise you can even get radius edges.

Rich.
Leather2.jpg

Leather1.jpg

H

Heathenpeddler

That is a neat idea :) might use it even though I have a beveller - it's not great for some thinner leathers and I think that would do a better job.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great use for old razor blades that is :)

I should imagine though that an edge beveller is cheaper than some of the Mac 3 jobbies :eek:

Great idea! - did you do it freehand? The reason I ask is that I am to craftsmanship what John Prescott is to after dinner speaking! and I'm thinking that a further aid to control would be to have the razor travel against a vertical edge (block of wood?) set parrallel to the edge of the leather you're bevelling - this would perhaps increase the chances of an even bevel.

Top Tip, Rich - thanks!

P.S. (Edit) You could also vary the distance between your vertical and the leather by fractions to achieve an accurate radius. There - you've gone and got me thinking about this now :D

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Great idea! - did you do it freehand? The reason I ask is that I am to craftsmanship what John Prescott is to after dinner speaking! and I'm thinking that a further aid to control would be to have the razor travel against a vertical edge (block of wood?) set parrallel to the edge of the leather you're bevelling - this would perhaps increase the chances of an even bevel.

Top Tip, Rich - thanks!

P.S. (Edit) You could also vary the distance between your vertical and the leather by fractions to achieve an accurate radius. There - you've gone and got me thinking about this now :D

All done free hand, if your careful you don't take too much off because of the depth of razor cut.

Radius are done by taking several cuts at different angles.

Rich.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Spot on fella I like the finnished sheath. I am looking around for my old razor now.

Simon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE