Just finished a Fallkniven F1…

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
It took me a couple of hours but here it is my Fallkniven F1 with Thuya Burr scales.
I have bought the scales from Englishrose.
Does anyone got some ideas for a leather sheath I can make for this knife?

fallknivenf1side.jpg

fallknivenf1bside.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Good stuff! i was just contemplating sheaths, I know some people hate the firesteel loop on the bottom, but looked at the Woodlore style sheath and wondered why that big lump of excess leather is there. It would look funny without it but I wonder if it could be used to stow a firesteel in instead. Let me do a quick doodle with paint and I'll show what I mean!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
'Scuse the crap drawing! Hopefully you will understand it! There will need to be a welt by the blade, then a second welt on the left of the fire steel. Red line is stitching, hole at the bottom to secure firesteel to sheath. Maybe the cut out for the handle of the firesteel won't be needed, but this depends on the thickness of the sheath. For an F1, you could get away with it as the welt will probably be quite thick as they are thick knives. This means the whole handle could probably be tucked away, although I'm no expert on these things. Maybe Rapidboy might take a look and see what he thinks as he seems to make a lot of the Woodlore style sheaths and might know if it is a viable idea.

untitled-3.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think it will look nicer and cleaner, not a lot of people like those fire steel loops on the side. It just dawned on me earlier and I was gonna start a thread, but you saved me the hassle!:D

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Great work on the knife there and certainly an innovative design of sheath Spam. My only thought would be you need some sort of equally innovative way of securing the firesteel in the sheath when it's been used a bit (and got thinner).

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
There isn't a lot of space in there and the welt isn't thick enough.
How would you plan to retain it ?

If you don't like the firesteel holder on the sheath maybe put it on a dangler belt loop or on a separate pouch.
I made a couple of these as neck pouches for people who didn't want them on the sheath but you could work the idea into a belt loop.

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

Or maybe on a pouch like this but on the back

DSC00046-1.jpg

DSC00047-1.jpg

Personally i like it on the sheath as it keeps my essential kit together which is handy because I'm always forgetting stuff :eek:

A side mounted firesteel holder is the most requested feature on my work so i think most people are happy with it there.

456_5610_1.jpg

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
I really like the pouch for the stone and the firesteel.
I am going to make one for myself.
And I still have to figure out what to do with the knife sheath.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
With that knife (nice work BTW) I'd keep it simple and clean. I find there is nothing worse than a big old clunky sheath. This is one of my favourites in terms of design, I'll have to improve the finish one day.

Picture033.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Great work on the knife there and certainly an innovative design of sheath Spam. My only thought would be you need some sort of equally innovative way of securing the firesteel in the sheath when it's been used a bit (and got thinner).

They normally get thinner at the end though, not near the handle. I have no idea if it is a feasible idea, just something I thought of and wondered if it was possible. And I personally don't mind firesteel loops, just know some don't. I saw a sheath you made Lawrence, just the other day in fact and there is no doubting your skills at leather craft. Very nice it was!

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice knife fella I think that the simple approach to the sheath design is the best option, but go with what you feels right, keep us posted.

Simon.

cccc

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2007
North Hampshire
There isn't a lot of space in there and the welt isn't thick enough.
How would you plan to retain it ?

If you don't like the firesteel holder on the sheath maybe put it on a dangler belt loop or on a separate pouch.
I made a couple of these as neck pouches for people who didn't want them on the sheath but you could work the idea into a belt loop.

DSC00052.jpg

Oooooh, thats nice :) I like that idea !!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE