Just Been Out For A Walk - Some critters...

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
There were some orchids in the fields near me and I wanted some pictures. Sorry to say that the recent rain seems to have put them fay beyond their best. So I figured I'd mave a go at some macro piccies of insects. Here are a couple. First time I've ised photobucket to - so expect me to get this wrong...

1. A bumbley bee... He seemed to be a bit poorly and was having trouble flying. Sat still for ages for me...

BumbleyBea.jpg

2. Some kind of fly. Any ideas what? I'm thinking it's some sort of bee fly.

100_0206.jpg

Now let's see if those are the right links to use.....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cracking pictures - especially the second one - not a bee fly though - they have a very very long proboscis (theres a photo of mine around somewhere of one) - they are much smaller than you describe too - about a small honey bee size.

Stunning shot though

Red

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
:) praise from the master. I'm all chuffed.

The really amazing thing is that the camera - wait for it - cost me less than £50 from Asda. Figured that I'd see what use I get from a camera in my bushcraft persuits before I went to something more expensive. I'm very pleased with it for the price.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The master indeed :p

A lot of the time patience and observation is far more important than the camera. On insect shots, flora and stationary fauna, you don't need a lot. A good optical zoom is nice for further away wildlife and birds, and a fast focussing SLR is particularly handy for moving creatures. But, as you have shown - you can do a lot these days now that good digitals are affordable.

Oh, if you want to see the master - check out Wayland website!

If it helps this is a bee fly. See how long the proboscis is?

451026983_9f80e5afe5.jpg

Red

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I think by looking at these and reading the above posts, that fly bee and hoverfly are not the same thing at all. We have loads of hoverflys about here, and I'd say they look more like wasps in colour then bees. Certainly the last pic posted there by Red looks nothing like what I call a hoverfly.

Ahh the pleasure of common names for things... lol

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Pretty mad how they live in in the bulbs. I think its because they look like they could sting. I'll be on the look out for evidence of these now when I plant my summer bedding.

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Beautiful flies !

Another nice sight we had (and luckily is lasting since a couple days) is a Luna Moth female that seems to sleep on my parent's house outter wall ! It seems that collectors really like this one. The picture is now my computer background, too bad I cannot share.

Here is a picture of the said moth.

Cheers,

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thats one beautiful looking moth, Its so futuristic looking, looks so gracefull

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE