'just add water' in Consett!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I was ratting about in Consett last Saturday and popped into a "Pound shop", known as 'Barry's Bargains' it's opposite the Barnardo's charity shop.
Anyway I came across some ex ration pack pouches for next to nothing:)

In dehydrated; they had porridge, pasta siciliana and cheesy pasta and in 'boil in the bag' they had tuna rigatoni.

best thing was; 3 for £1:eek: and all in date till august 2011, so some VERY cheap walking/camping/canoeing food, for the next couple of years:D

I came away with three of each but I'll be going back, as they were piled high!

I love places like that:)

cheers

R.B.

rancid badger

I'm just on the Eastern Boreal fringe of Chopwell wood!:D

These pouches are excellent mind:cool: they also had shepherds pie on the price list/ticket but I couldn't find any of those.
I'm not certain but I think they may be arctic ration meals? Either way, they weigh next to nothing and when re-hydrated, they produce enough grub to satisfy any hungry soul.

I tried one as soon as I got home,( siciliana) really simple; cut the top strip off, leaving the second sealing strip intact. opened it up, it's a zip seal type closure, topped it up with boiling water then stirred it and re-sealed.

I left it for about 5 mins, stirring twice in that time then gave it a shot- there were still some crunchy bits so I re-sealed again and left it another 5mins, squeezing the bag gently now and then.
When I tried it again, it was perfect:)

Very tasty, not too salty and very satisfying too.

Highly recommended goodjob

cheers

R.B.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
So do you just add water and leave it then eat it out of the pack? I sort of think Porride is a bit like dehydrated food at the best of times though it needs cooking and whisking etc. Be interested in what it tastes like RB.

rancid badger

So do you just add water and leave it then eat it out of the pack? I sort of think Porride is a bit like dehydrated food at the best of times though it needs cooking and whisking etc. Be interested in what it tastes like RB.

I didn't bother with the porridge for the same reason but then, when I thought about it; it'll have milk and sugar already added I imagine, so thats a bit less to think about carrying. You do of course, need to mix and stir the stuff inside the pouches, but you don't need a plate or bowl to eat it from.;)

I tried the cheesy pasta today. I took it to work with me for my bait, cut the top off, open the zip lock seal, top up with 400 and odd mls of boiling water then reseal, open up and stir occasionally. after about 10 mins of soaking and stirring, set to with spoon or fork.
Tasted absolutely fine and very filling too.

I'm going back up and I'll be getting a few porridge pouches this time, as well as a few more of the others. I'm just about to give the 'tuna rigatoni' boily bag a go for my supper.:)

I wouldn't suggest that these are ideal to "live off" but for camping,walking,canoeing etc, they are excellent fuel.

I imagine there are many, similar shops around the country, selling stuff like this. I know B&M's do occasionally so it's well worth a scrat around these places.

atb

R.B.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I didn't bother with the porridge for the same reason but then, when I thought about it; it'll have milk and sugar already

MILK AND SUGAR?! Not a Scottish rat pack then? :D

When you said porridge I thought you meant real porridge, i.e. boiled for a week in water and then a quarter of a teaspoon of salt added per half ton of what's left - salt's expensive ye ken! goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE