A Paddle Down Ullswater (and back again)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I thought I'd posted this here already, I obviously hadn't!

Anyway;

20th of May, a Thursday morning, saw me and my mate, all packed up and off to the Lake District for the day.

In the past, we would have been headed for the hills, usually the bigger the better, and intent on covering as much ground as possible.

Today however; we were set on doing some paddling on Ullswater in my new SP3

I'd packed most of the kit the night before, so it was just a case of strapping the boat to the car and getting away.
P5100014.jpg

I'd already decided not to faff about, looking for a free parking place along the NW shore and had made enquiries at Park Foot campsite, about parking and launching.

They charge £4.50 a day for reasonably secure(ish) parking and easy water access, a snip really.

We were on the water for about 9.40, under grey skies but with a hint of blue from time to time and the temperature 'just nice'.
The lake itself, looked quite serene, barely a ripple in places and pretty much flat otherwise, except for the wake from the ferries.( of which, a little more later!)
P5200030copyresized.jpg

We set off and as my shipmate is not a regular paddler, we wandered about a bit till we were "comfy".

A better "sotp" picture than I've managed before
P5200036copyresize.jpg

We paddled across, then began making our way down the way, about 30-40m out. Cars and assorted other traffic, passing on the road nearby.
We soon tired of the road noise and made our way further out.
The scenery was something else and the conditions almost ideal
P5200042copysized.jpg

P5200056.jpg

There were hardly any other craft on the water, apart from these;
P5200081.jpg

Which provided some interesting up and down moments throughout the day

The paddling was easy and at times; quite fast too, reaching 9.2km/hr ( for about 5 mins) according to the garmin.

There was a fair bit to look at, with some curious garden furniture in places;
P5200051.jpg

We passed the Outward Bound centre, my mate recalling having stood on the jetty, many moons ago, for a school group photo

P5200059.jpg

We decided to carry on down to Silver Bay, collecting a couple of handfuls of dead twigs on the way, to fuel the Kelly when we got there.

It was a little odd at times, to be talking to people walking above us on the lakeside path.
P5200095copyresizedforweb.jpg

P5200067copyresized.jpg

Silver Bay beckoned and the wind picked up a touch but as we got closer, the bay itself was flat calm and the temperature seemed to rise significantly.

P5200073copyresized_faffedon.jpg

Then we were there, a couple in an inflatable, were having a picnic, so we pulled in on the left end of the bay and I got the Kelly going;

P5200075.jpg

One fill was enough to do two, dehydrated, pasta siscilliana's ( 30p each at "Barry's Bargains", Consett) and two cups of coffee.

P5200078.jpg

We rested and chatted for an hour and a half or so, then decided it was time to get moving.
Silver Bay was incredibly tranquil, apart from when the couple set off in their little inflatable.

We went down to the second island after Silver Bay, then, deciding enough was enough, we turned tail. I was about to try my home made sail ( not the one Blutack made me, I've not got a pole yet) when the wind dropped off! It was so calm, we were actually easily gaining on a yacht, that had set sail as we turned earlier but was now, more or less, becalmed

We had a bit more fun with the ferries wakes on the way back, as well as passing numerous groups of kids out in canoes, (presumably as an afternoon activity to knacker them out for the evening) We were both quite tired by half way back but we had been regularly changing sides as we paddled, so at least were equally battered on both sides

By the time we stumbled out onto dry land again, we had covered 22.4km with an average speed of 5.5kmh. ( according to the gizmo) we'd been out about 7 hours or so and were both ready for home.

I expected to be stiff and sore the next day but I was fine.

A really good trip; very relaxing and a very good workout too.

thanks for looking

atb

R.B.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great pics Steve

Happy new boat too mate :)

When I got my Bob I emailed Nova Craft and asked them to send me a set of stickers as I thought it looked a bit odd without them. I don't know if they've just done it for the anniversary year or they've stopped it altogether, great service though and they were more than happy to oblige.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE