Just a Heads up

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I recently posted up in the What did you buy today thread a British Army foul weather jacket i scored for 99p in a charity shop.
I wore it yesterday for the first time, now i know why A, it was 99p and B it was in a charity shop...Death Trap is all i can say.

I had planned a bit of fishing last night and as the skies looked a bit unpredictable i decided i would wear the fould weather death Trap Jacket. I had on underneath two layers, a cotton T-shirt and a light fleece. I walked about a mile and a half from my home and i could feel myself starting to sweat with the three layers on, so i stopped to remove the Foul Weather Jacket.

I swear, My fleece was coated in thousands of tiny droplets of condensation, the inside of the Jacket was soaked also. I wonder how many of these jackets were bought by the MOD before they realised they could actually cause death quicker than the rain they were supposed to protect you from. Maybe ok for sitting around in the rain, but any physical exertions whilst wearing this jacket is not advisable.

Death Trap Below.

g_FOUL-WEATHER-JAC1_zpsgkhxcegz.jpg

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
OK, playing devils advocate it is described as "foul weather" - assuming torrential rain any goretex or equivalent garment is also going to stop being breathable as soon the DWR stops working and it wets out, which doesn't take long. Then the same thing will happen.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
OK, playing devils advocate it is described as "foul weather" - assuming torrential rain any goretex or equivalent garment is also going to stop being breathable as soon the DWR stops working and it wets out, which doesn't take long. Then the same thing will happen.

It has two mesh type vents under each armpit, it's not goretex. it's that older heavy duty noisy Nylon stuff all waterproofs used to be made out of. Had a look at the label, tells me diddly about materials. Also just noticed that it has two layers.

As i said, it will be ok for standing/sitting fishing in the rain, but i dont recommend getting physical whilst wearing it.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
It has two mesh type vents under each armpit, it's not goretex. it's that older heavy duty noisy Nylon stuff all waterproofs used to be made out of. Had a look at the label, tells me diddly about materials. Also just noticed that it has two layers.

As i said, it will be ok for standing/sitting fishing in the rain, but i dont recommend getting physical whilst wearing it.

That was my point - it's a foul weather garment. Nothing's going to be breathable in foul weather (so it doesn't need to be).

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
That was my point - it's a foul weather garment. Nothing's going to be breathable in foul weather (so it doesn't need to be).
But the weather wasn't foul, Just a bit windy. I only put the jacket on because it looked like it could rain. not because it was raining...well it was raining...on the inside of the Jacket.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
But the weather wasn't foul, Just a bit windy. I only put the jacket on because it looked like it could rain. not because it was raining...well it was raining...on the inside of the Jacket.

yes - it's a foul weather jacket - not an all weather jacket. It's designed to be used only in foul weather.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
So what you are saying is, if it had been raining cats and dogs the inside of the jacket would have avoided the condensation build up?...

Nope - you would've still got condensation, but you also would if you were wearing something way more expensive too (goretex etc.) because in those conditions "breathable" fabrics wet out and don't breath.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
At least you didn't have to wear the old bright colored DPM ones with the black rubber lining, it was like being in a sauna, then a steamroom.

Tonyuk

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Nope - you would've still got condensation, but you also would if you were wearing something way more expensive too (goretex etc.) because in those conditions "breathable" fabrics wet out and don't breath.
Na you've lost me, I thought the sole purpose of wearing waterproofs was to keep you and your clothes dry. my clothes couldn't have been any wetter if i had tried and it wasn't even raining. it could have been raining, Snowing, blizzards, Hailstones, thunder, lightning i'll bet i would still have been soaked thru.

Last edited:

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Do a standing sentryin the pouring wind and rain and you would be glad of it. Having saidthat, its all they are good for!

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
So was this one...I literally had to shake the water off my fleece like a dog and my T-shirt was soaked thru also..

Thats why these and the rest like them aren't issued anymore. There fully waterproof, not advertised as breathable. Like if you wore a tarp over you the sweat you make wont have anywhere to go. These were made long before Goretex and the like existed, before them it was ponchos being used. Its not really the fault of the jacket it was apparently not bad when it was first issued.

Tonyuk

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
At .99p though you've hardly lost a fortune, It will probably be better in the colder months, just layer up properly underneath.

Rob

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
That jacket brought back memories, in the days the only water proof was your poncho they were the mutts nuts, when the rain is heavy, out in it all day it still keeps you dry.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
That jacket brought back memories, in the days the only water proof was your poncho they were the mutts nuts, when the rain is heavy, out in it all day it still keeps you dry.
I have a older Dutch army poncho, the rubbery one, never sweated in one of those, plenty areas for wind to get in and around. beats this jacket hands down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE