Jungle Equipment

T

Tweed Man

Afternoon Gents
I've Been Given The Opertunity To Go To Belize, And I Need To Know What To Take And Some General Advice For The Jungle Enviroment!
Any Help Will Greatly Apreciated

Dec 16, 2007
I have just come back from Malaysia and for a kit list found that my surplus stuff worked fine. Most of the guys were wearing brit desert combats. I had a pair of tropical combats and a desert UBACs shirt tucked in to the waist so no leech bites around the stomach area was quick to dry and the sleaves held up against the wait-a-while vines. Boots were Alt-berg jungles with the panama sole cant recomend these enough.
Used a PLCE bergen
HH explorer hammock with Hex fly.
Snugpac jungle bag
Crusader cookset and trangia stove
12cm billy can
Get a lifestraw all the guys had one.
Millbank bag
lots of dry bags
Parang (local)
Mora knife
plenty of bic lighters and a good fire kit (coton wool and vass)

Have a look at http://www.junglecraft.com.my/for good advice Paul was on my trek with me. top bloke.
Also get a local Parang sephu crafts do a good one again Keong who sells them is a top bloke http://www.sepuh-crafts.com/

Sure there is more but it is usaly the same as what you would take for a tab in the summer time. Use the 2 sets of clothes system 1 wet 1 dry and you'll have no problems. Just be prepared that you WILL be wet from the start and will stay that way till the end. Loads of talcum powder for feet and around your nuts as a case of the rot is not nice. Lycra shorts as well. Plus you will get leech bites use anti septic POWDER on them after they have been removed.

Hope this helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2b7ZgvLkY0&feature=g-upl my trip.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You said Belize so more likely a machete than a parang if you get it locally.

Take insect repellant and get your shots.

Last edited:
I did my jungle survival course in Belize in 1990.

First of all, is it primary (in the south) or secondary (in the north) rainforest? Secondary is drier in Belize with far more open clearings.

You will want to sleep off the ground, so unless you're constructing A frames, a hammock is in order - don't forget the mat as well - hammock sleeping can be chilly whatever the environment. Another essential is bug proofing - make sure your sleeping system is completely bug proof, eitherwise your trip of a lifetime will rapidly turn into a nightmare! (it's easy to fall asleep whilst being serenaded by mosquitos, knowing they can't get to you!)

A good machete or parang is another essential, along with sharpening equipment (when I was there they could be bought very cheaply, locally - but that was 20+ years ago).

Lots of talcum powder for wet feet at the end of the day - believe me it's bliss!

You will travel lighter in the jungle but, above all, remember one thing - you are going to be wet and stinking after a couple of days - so my last essential is...

...A good dry bag in which you keep your dry, evening gear and clothes. In the jungle you always have your wet gear which you put on first thing in the morning and your dry gear which you put on in the evening after you've made camp. Your dry gear (and talc) will become very important to you - something you will definitely look forward to at the end of the day.

Don't go overboard on "kit" you need to travel light and the jungle is absolutely full of food and water (for example, water vines abound in Belize, although having said that I would always carry at least a three litre bladder hydration system, as well, as you are going to sweat buckets!)

Enjoy it - it's a wonderful place - a lifetime memory.

Last edited:
T

Tweed Man

I Have Been Told By One Of My Freinds To Take A Fleece And/Or Windtop, Why? :)

BushrangerCZ

Nomad
Dec 23, 2010
in the woods
have been in Belize for patrolling course couple years ago, but Fin has written that all pretty well. Purchase jungle boots, American or UK made, not Chinese, and take diarrhoea pills, a loads of them. And camera, so you can post pics over here later:)

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
DEET wipes (anything in a bottle fails and leaks) a bandanna, one of those kneckers with the hydroscopic beads in, they work pretty well at cooling your carotid arteries, anti fungal powder for your feed, witch hazel gel for bites, tincture of iodine, small head torch, bic lighter with some strips of inner tube wrapped around it, small compass, whistle (around your neck) and some haemorrhoid cream, yeah laugh it up but a sweaty crack can be very unpleasant and that three-in-one stuff can make life much nicer, a small wool blanket can replace a sleeping bag, mine just about reaches from neck to toes diagonally, ductape has a million uses, take it off the cardboard reel by winding it back on itself, I good belt to keep your essentials on, don’t go anywhere without them, lanskey pocket sharpener or DC4

as said before get your jabs up to date, Typhoid sucks, talk to the Doc about Malaria etc

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Talc and more talc, socks and more socks, a us army poncho liner blanket, uco lantern the tea candle one, we wore at night soot suits which were smocks made from parachutes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE