Jungle boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I'm off to Panama in December with Woodsmoke and I need a pair of Jungle boots, I have no idea what to get, basically I don't want to spend a fortune on boots that'll only have one weeks use but I don't want something that'll cripple me either. I have been told that desert boots are a more comfortable alternative aslong as there's no liner.
Advice is definitely needed.
Thanks in advance, Rob.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Ray Mears swears by the US army jungle boots. In his essential Bushcraft book he says:
"In the rainforest clothing has to withstand continuous wet.
There is no better footwear than the US army jungle boots ,look for genuine boots in the modern version, which has Cordura uppers and leather soles with speed lacing..."
End quote
He goes on to say that the boots stretch a bit when new and that he wears 2 pairs of wool socks (as they dont go mouldy like cotton ones) .

Sounds like a very hot foot but he is the man so...

Of course this is subjective , because what works for some might not for others, especially in footwear...

however a lightweight fabric such as cordura or denim dries quickly so that is a good idea, drain holes and cambrelle ™ lining even better.
No goretex™ or linings that will impair the boot from drying swiftly.

Alt-berg do a very good jungle boot, but they're pricey as new, so maybe keep your eyes peeled on eBay and Gumtree for second hand ones ?

There's many a bargain to be had in gum tree.
I just got a new without tags pair of Altberg field and fell for £50 ( £160 new!)

Other than that , I've posted a couple of links on your other thread on this subject , so maybe that will help...

👍

I'm not so sure about leather soles to be honest... What's wrong with standard rubber?

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I myself use a pair of desert boots, which I find very light and surprisingly cool, I use them all year round without problem, my feet are always warm in winter and cool in summer, I find them I find them ideal, the only thing you have to watch out for in US Army boots is are they genuine, they have just found out that their main supplier has been putting labels stating they are made in the US, when in fact they are made in China, and they are not up to standard.

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Fadcode has a good point.
Desert boots will do the job, no goretex in them so they dry quick ...
Plenty of them on army surplus.

Anyways , found you some GENUINE army surplus (British not US) boots for your size...

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/shop/footwear/jungle-boots-grade-1-1123742.html

Not too expensive for a grade 1 boot ...
Now the question is , are there any army folk here that can tell you to either size up or size down or stick to shoe size?
All boots are different , and these will be no exception...
The joys of online shopping.

bowji john

Silver Trader
I can quite understand your desire to avoid spending good money on boots you might never use again

However

There is no misery like the misery of poor quality footwear

I was on an officer's command course in Belize (back in the 80s) with poor fitting boots

The course was one of the toughest I've ever undertaken

But what I remember most was the state of my feet by the end

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Back in the early 90's I was in Belize, I could never get on with the US jungle boots, but the British issue, although the were based on the DMS bobbly leather, were excellent, I used them in the jungle, the rest of the 9 month tour and again in Croatia for 6 months as well as every exercise between so they will certainly last.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeremyctry

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
United States
I swear by my U.S. Jungle boots but I recommend going up at least a half size to accommodate a really good quality insole the stock one is garbage. And if i'm going to wear them in winter i like to go up a full size to accommodate a second pair of wool socks. I have a 17 year old pair right now that are still going strong. Also if you do go with a pair of Jungle Boots pay extra for the Ripple soles you may not ever go back to a civy boot.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
The new junglies come with a bit of padding in the fabric which is a nice touch, but be sure to try them on. There sized on the US chart so a bit different to the fit of most european boots. I went for a size large enough to fit a good insole (essential, the sole of junglies is rock solid and will cripple you eventually) but tight enough that i could wear a thin pair of socks with them, wool dress socks if i remember right. Other than that keep your feet well powdered and some anti-septic cream rubbed in when you can take the boots off and let them dry works well, stops the skin peeling as much when they finally dry.

Tonyuk

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Thanks for the info gents it's really appreciated, I'd like to go to a shop to try some on but I can't find anywhere remotely near.
I'll let you know what I get.
Anymore advice is very welcome.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Never tried the german ones but look good. I always use US issue jungle boots, have done so for 15 years or more now. Get about a years wear out of a pair as the soles wear quickly. With minimal breaking in they fit like slippers and are supremely comfortable. Have used the desert version as well.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Get jungle boots ,US military ones , make sure it has Bata on the bottom , my father has been using and abusing it for more than 15 years , in all kinds of weather when we go hunting all the time before winter and snow.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jungle+boots&client=opera&hs=M1l&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3tee09bfPAhXBcRQKHWkgCBIQ_AUICSgC&biw=1600&bih=790#tbm=isch&q=bata+jungle+boots&imgrc=L5tYndPyZY3AeM%3A

They look just like these , plus I dont think they will cost much , yet bulletproof stuff.

edit: whoops , just read the other posts , so I'm not the only one who thinks like this , hehe :) I like your style dear bcuk members :cool:

Last edited:

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
A trick I learnt from one of my troops when I was in is to put talk in a dry bag and then stick your foot into the bag to talc it rather than spraying it everywhere.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've worn the US jungle boots and most of them were great. However beware they've been around for almost 50 years and there are loads of cheap imitations. As somebody already mentioned the cheap ones even find their way into the actual issue channels as well.

Out of curiosity does anybody know what the French issue for troops in Guiana?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I swear by my U.S. Jungle boots but I recommend going up at least a half size to accommodate a really good quality insole the stock one is garbage. And if i'm going to wear them in winter i like to go up a full size to accommodate a second pair of wool socks. I have a 17 year old pair right now that are still going strong. Also if you do go with a pair of Jungle Boots pay extra for the Ripple soles you may not ever go back to a civy boot.

+1
U.S issue boots with decent liners

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I've worn the US jungle boots and most of them were great. However beware they've been around for almost 50 years and there are loads of cheap imitations. As somebody already mentioned the cheap ones even find their way into the actual issue channels as well.

Out of curiosity does anybody know what the French issue for troops in Guiana?
I have a pair of all canvas french jungle boots made by WISSART. They are copied by PALLADIUM model is called pampa. I believe they issued these since algeria for hot weather or jungle work. They are like stiff soled converse hi tops. Very comfy too. Not very hard wearing though. I have seen recent photos of french troops training in jungles and I've only seen them wearing the double buckle ranger style boot of old or leather hi leg issue.

This is a link to wissart type i have, they did a high leg version as well like the old malaya issue british jungle boots.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...hXHCcAKHQl2A7gQ_AUICCgC#imgrc=AVQsE8H8nclwcM:

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
US boots that i have and preferred the most have been altama and belleville made. I had a pair of the green canvas type that said ro-search on the sole, i wore them till they fell of my feet and were the best ones I've had, worth a fortune apparently due to a stitched seam running vertically up the leather at the back from the sole. I am currently using a modern pair of ro search and they are also good.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have a pair of all canvas french jungle boots made by WISSART. They are copied by PALLADIUM model is called pampa. I believe they issued these since algeria for hot weather or jungle work. They are like stiff soled converse hi tops. Very comfy too. Not very hard wearing though. I have seen recent photos of french troops training in jungles and I've only seen them wearing the double buckle ranger style boot of old or leather hi leg issue.

This is a link to wissart type i have, they did a high leg version as well like the old malaya issue british jungle boots.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...hXHCcAKHQl2A7gQ_AUICCgC#imgrc=AVQsE8H8nclwcM:

Thanks for the reply and the link.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE