[July 10th-12th] Stead Hall Wood (Between Otley and Ikley)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'm partial to the parsnips... seems a waste of a pit oven without some parsnips shoved in for good measure :D

Sounds like its going to be quite the weekend. Looking forward to it.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
fergs' coming with me and we should be there for lunchtime. Will bring a spade and fork as the estate boot is cavernous! meat sounds fun especially as I have bought a Grandad's fork since our last get together. Tipple wise it will be ales or rum depending on what I fancy when perusing the supermarket shelves!

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
:)

Looking forward to this. Never done a pit oven before but seen it done, should be good with a selection of meats/veggies. There isn't any moss to use as a cover before putting soil on top but I'm thinking we could use one/couple of the large logs that have been felled to cover/plug hole and the put soil round it for sealing heat in.

...bloody hell I'm starting to drool thinking of the been now lol

May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
I sat and watched uncle Ray cook a rabbit in one on Youtube last night and was salivating watching it. Yes i was wondering what to cover it with too, im sure the woods will provide something. Are we doing this on Friday or Saturday night?

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I sat and watched uncle Ray cook a rabbit in one on Youtube last night and was salivating watching it. Yes i was wondering what to cover it with too, im sure the woods will provide something. Are we doing this on Friday or Saturday night?

You'll love his Venison pit then :D (I'll be brining a leg of Vension to next meet)

Will most likely be Friday night bud. Don't think I could keep a joint of Beef with me without thinking about it every other minute lol

[video=youtube;iZky_ZRRPPI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZky_ZRRPPI[/video]

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
There isn't any moss to use as a cover before putting soil on top but I'm thinking we could use one/couple of the large logs that have been felled to cover/plug hole and the put soil round it for sealing heat in.

If any of the wild garlic is still there, could use their leaves to layer before the soil

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
If any of the wild garlic is still there, could use their leaves to layer before the soil

That's a good idea however I doubt there will be any there now. Could be wrong though as I have never seen as much as I did at last meet. I'm really hoping it's all gone as I like to see the woodland floor. Will make it much easier to find the stones we need as well.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Will you have it going before I get there at 6? I just didn't want to bring a joint of meat for it to be too late to go in.

I'm not sure bud, Should be ready to put meat in around 6ish. Just depends on how hungry people are as we need to heat rocks for 1-2 hours and then cook meat for couple of hours. I wouldn't worry though, If you miss out on pit I have a squirrel cooker at camp you can use to skewer meat and roast over fire? I've done that a few times, comes out nice.

How about both? :D

Indeed. No reason why we cant use it both nights :)

I'm thinking of joint of beef on Friday then Ribeye's cooked on rocks on Saturday. :D

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
1. ADz (Fri-Sun)
2. XRV John (Fri-Sun)
3. Monkeypoker (Fri-Sat)
4. Dewi + lad (Fri-Sun)
5. fergsuK + daughter (Fri-Sun)
6. flyfisher

Edited to add the nipper in as she's decided she wants to tag along

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Grabbed a leg of lamb, some chicken, tatties and other veg... couple of loaves of bread, bottle of rum, some beer and some Polish gravy (2 types depending on your taste)... bacon, eggs, black pudding, white pudding and tatty cakes... don't think any of us are going to starve, lets put it that way :D

Couldn't find a spade, so packed the fold away and a large shovel. Also packed the fireman's gloves.. always come in useful those things.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
On my way! :)

a40b022303fd78a6c22fbcf5b995d781.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE