Jojo Nessmuk, done! (Apart from a sheath!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have here an almost finished Jojo Nessmuk blade. I should sand it a little and add a bit more oil, but I just couldn't wait to get some pictures up. I was gonna go with a stippled effect on the handle which I discovered by accidentally rocking the handle as it was sanding on a drum. It left a nice effect so I may go back to that one day with another blade.

For now though, here is the Nessie, with can't remember wood scales. I left the middle pin out leaving two pins and a lanyard tube. I'm still not sure if I should have done that, but I like the way it looks and I suppose that is all that matters! I also went with the curved forward part of the scale to try and keep the curves theme going as this knife is full of curves.

It chops like a demon, slices nicely so far and if it wasn't for me dinking the edge during the handling process (I was being stupid and lucky to not lose a finger or worse!) it would be spot on! I'll have to sharpen that dink out, and must remember to mask off in future to save me from having to scrape the glue off that oozes out from between the scales and the tang. Lessons learnt, but knife number 2 handled! And in under a year! :D

I need to get a sheath sorted, but I still haven't done one for the Green River knife I did a while back! :rolleyes: So, in the meantime I'll have yto carry it in my teeth!

Enjoy the pics!

0803020039.jpg

0803020032.jpg

0803020034.jpg

0803020035.jpg

0803020033.jpg

0803020037.jpg

0803020036.jpg

0803020038.jpg

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Very nice work, the concave curve is a nice touch. I'm a big fan of nessies. They are an PITA to make a sheath for though.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Very nice work, the concave curve is a nice touch. I'm a big fan of nessies. They are an PITA to make a sheath for though.

It's OK, I think I talked The Ratbag into making one for it! :D purely so that I can see how it is done, of course!

As I said on BB< the praise should go to Jojo, the blade he made is fantastic, the edge is tough and it just looks really nice. It does need a clean up after being taped up, but I couldn't wait to show it off!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Nice! How long did it take?

I've just ordered blade #16 from Stu Barker's run of 20 Nessy blades and will be having a go at handling soon myself.

Soooo...

... any tips Spamel?

Simon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, I got the blade off of Jojo way back in the mists of time! In fact, it may be over a year since I got the blade, but I wanted to get one or two under my belt before starting on it. Man hours wise, it probably only took four or five hours from start to finish, but that has been over a few weeks with me going up to The Ratbags' place every now and then to do a bit here and there. I basically got it pinned and glued and then this week I shaped it to what you see above. I filed with a heavy duty 12 inch rasp, then a 12 inch bar steward file, then I went to the sanding drum and took it down to shape. Then, onto fine sand paper and finally some danish oil in wire wool. I can't stop picking it up and fondling it! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE