John Neeman carving axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Love to know how much it cost and how long the wait was........

Those things don't interest me much, I recently received a chair I ordered (and paid 50% on) 9 years ago. What matters to me is working with interesting people, having things with a story behind them that are a joy to use. But to answer the question I am paying with wooden bowls so don't know what the price would be and it has taken over a year from first discussions but we have both been busy. The Ronnqvist axe is very nice.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
My axe goes in the post today but they just put a bunch more pics online and a note saying this axe will be added to their standard production. I'll add a couple of pics to the thread but there are lots more pics here

1239519_713902575292745_1794241180_n.jpg

1098048_713902785292724_783204370_n.jpg

1234286_713901731959496_1034042033_n.jpg

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Those things don't interest me much, I recently received a chair I ordered (and paid 50% on) 9 years ago. What matters to me is working with interesting people, having things with a story behind them that are a joy to use. But to answer the question I am paying with wooden bowls so don't know what the price would be and it has taken over a year from first discussions but we have both been busy. The Ronnqvist axe is very nice.

Since July 2012 I think :)

I must admit I was worried nothing would come of it. John Neeman have become so busy. Well done for persevering. I hope it lives up to expectations.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Wow that looks truly stunning. The shape of the head. The nice lighter weight. That stunning elm handle which is a joy to behold. And the sheath looks ok too.

I watched the video and it always makes me smile. The work that goes into forging an axe head, to then craft and shape that stunning handle. Then the horrible sheath they all seem to come up with, with nasty rivets for speed of assembly.

Sadly a tool that I could never afford to justify but I can drool. Looks like it should work a treat so look forward to your review of it in action.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
My axe goes in the post today but they just put a bunch more pics online and a note saying this axe will be added to their standard production. I'll add a couple of pics to the thread but there are lots more pics here

1239519_713902575292745_1794241180_n.jpg

1098048_713902785292724_783204370_n.jpg

1234286_713901731959496_1034042033_n.jpg

Have you had a chance to use this beautiful axe yet, Robin? If so, how does it handle? I - and I'm sure a good many others here - would love to hear of your initial and more detailed impressions of it.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Sadly true, first thing stolen from my workshop in 17 years I guess it was just too shiny and tempting for a passing walker. First impressions here
Suffice to say I liked it a lot, enough in fact to have already ordered a second one and the nice guys at John Neeman have queue jumped me so that one will be on it's way before too long. I can kind of understand people thinking they are expensive but then I look at a hand made bushcraft knife which run £250-£350 and there is so much more work and skill involved in one of these axes. I can justify them as they are the tools of my job, I would have no problem justifying £200 on say a good electric drill that I would expect to last maybe 10 years or so, this one will last a lifetime.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Wow that is really sad. I have just contacted the team with regards one of these and agree with you totally with regards price - well worth it if you use it every day. I have read your blog and must take my hat off to you for your gracious offer, I really hope someone takes you up on it and returns your axe. Either way that axe has really bad mojo for anyone else swinging it other than you. I'm just off to check the workshops locked!

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would hope that having someone else's name on your tools would be a constant reminder that it wasn't yours and bad mojo would be en route. Not that I believe in karma but I do hope it draws their attention one day and their concentration lapses for a moment.
Sorry for your loss and hope the new one is even better.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That is terrible! I bet whoever took it doesn't even know what a great tool it is! Probably only took it because it was sharp and shiny!

On a lighter a note it looks a brilliant axe and I hope your other one arrives safe :).

Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota, USA
I don't understand why all that work went into the axe head and handle and they pounded a metal wedge at an odd angle into it. A simple soft wood wedge aligned to the grain would do the job for the life of the handle. Makes me think this whole thread is a sales job for Neeman Tools after John left. Maybe I am wrong, but the folks at Neeman tools seem to have a better photographer and video producer than handle hanger.

I'm not convinced the folks at Neeman Tools know what they are doing.

I struggle to understand how the purchase thread was created by someone who bragged about the purchase, posted numerous pics prior to delivery, but claims the tool was stolen in some other thread. ***?!? Was it ever delivered? I'd expect delivery pics in this thread given the OP's build-up.

Makes me think the OP was paid to advertise Neeman Tools, then never got his axe. Just saying.

Last edited:

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Wow that's one hell of a statement. The only trouble with it is that you imply Mr Robin Wood is somehow in on some marketing ploy. Maybe you don't know him, I personally have never met him. That said I know of his reputation, I have corresponded with him with regard wood properties and I have read his blog for years. This is one guy that just would not do that, he is one of "the" most balanced & moral persons frequenting these type of forums. Read his blog and the offer he put out there for the thief. I'm sure Robin is more than capable of rebutting such an accusation and I don't really need to stand and defend him but I for one think you statement has no truth in it what so ever. And as an aside - how many axes have you re-hafted? Just asking.

I don't understand why all that work went into the axe head and handle and they pounded a metal wedge at an odd angle into it. A simple soft wood wedge aligned to the grain would do the job for the life of the handle. Makes me think this whole thread is a sales job for Neeman Tools after John left. Maybe I am wrong, but the folks at Neeman tools seem to have a better photographer and video producer than handle hanger.

I struggle to understand how the purchase thread was created by someone who bragged about the purchase, posted numerous pics prior to delivery, but claims the tool was stolen in some other thread. ***?!? Was it ever delivered? I'd expect delivery pics in this thread given the OP's build-up.

Makes me think the OP was paid to advertise Neeman Tools, then never got his axe. Just saying.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain

I'm sure you don't mean it this way but your post seems to commit the sin that you are accusing Robin of. To me it reads like a pro-Autine anti-Neeman plug.

I was on the periphery of the conversations when Robin asked John Neeman to make the carver and I doubt very much that there is anything underhand going on. It was a genuine collaboration to make a carving axe.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire

On what are you basing this scurrilous allegation? Has cynicism bitten you so hard that you cannot accept that some people might be genuinely enthusiastic about a particular tool maker and his products? Methinks a little more balanced research is required on your part before you start bandying around these unfounded observations.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Lovely looking Axe. Really sad that people will steal other peoples stuff regardless of value.

I recently had a bow and 2 hatchets stolen from the museum I work at. Not only do I have to pay to replace the tools but I invested a lot of time in each blade and handle adapting them to my personal preference.

I hope Robin's replacement arrives soon.

I'm sure the original post was intended to help increase the public awareness of a fine axe maker and why not. Crafts people need to work together to keep skills alive.

I will ill be posting pictures of me new axe when it arrives and hopefully that will increase the exposure of the maker so he is still in business making quality tools when I need more tools in the future.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE