Job market

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would expect that from a school leaver or for an unskilled applicant over here but not a skilled worker. My CV is 3 pages long and I know my wife's is like a small novel!! If I got a CV from someone applying for a skilled position and it was only a page long, no matter how good they said they were I would probably reject them.

Is the resume in the US a different format from the UK and counts for a lot less in the application process? I'm asking as I find it very interesting.

Maybe different, maybe not. Mine is quite long as well. However, each separate job you apply for should have its own CV listing only the qualifications relevant to the postition advertised, strip out everything else. There was a time not so long ago when the CV (or resume) over here was expected to include all your qualifications but that's been evolving over the last decade or two. All it's expected to do is to grab the reader's attention (remember the reader might be reading dozens in a short time and will only focus on the first page unless it's been computor sorted) I suppose the best analogy would be to compare it to a television advert selling your ability. If it catches the hiring manager's attention, it will lead to an initial interview and likely to the prospect filling out a proper job application.

By the way, I wouldn't reccomend listing hobbies, It's possible that they may be contrary to the beliefs of the hiring managers and in any case, it demonstrates less than total interest in the job itself. They're generally prohibited by law from asking questions extrtaneous to the position. In the past it was considerred an asset if an applicant was married (the reasoning was that married persons were more stable) but now that's one of the questions prohibitted.

Here the CV should be limited to how you can fill the postion advertised and give a few relevant examples of your experience (not a complete list)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It must have changed in the past couple of years then because although they recognised my wife's medical degree, they basically told her she would have to start back at the beginning and work up through the qualifications and experience she had gained to become a GP in the UK. My wife is originally from California and a US citizen so naturally, when we thought about emigrating the US was the obvious choice. Even though she has a lot of experience in, no matter where she enquired she was basically told the same thing, time after time, that she would have to start at the beginning (House Officer) and work her way up. We couldn't afford to take the hit financially so we dismissed the idea and decided to stay put for the time being.

It's been this way for a few decades TBH. I really don't know what a "House Officer" is. It's not a term I've ever heard in the medical field. But again, I'm really not an exper in said field, just that my mom and many other relatives are or have been in that field.

What I do know for fact is:

1) The field is regulated by the individual states rather than the federal government and it's the individual states that set licensing requirements (Those standards and are generally fairly standard among the states though) The federal government is only involved insofar as granting immigration visas.

2. There is a large number of foreign nationals practicing medicine here, particularly Asian and Indian.

3. The PHS (Public Health Service) is especially short of medical staff for remote locations (Alaska and the Indian reservations in the lower 48)

4) Thre is a shortage of doctors nationwide.

Without knowing for sure, I suspect the reluctance on the part of the agencies you contacted was because they were seeking personell who were already licensed. As I said, training and experience don't guarentee a license, you must pass the exam in the individual state you intend to practice. Even if a doctor here gets all his/her education in, Florida for example, but then decides he wants to practice in Alabama, he will have to take the Alabama licensing exam. In years to come if he wants to move back to Florida, He'll have to retake the exam from the Florida Board of Examiners (even though his original education might have been at the University of Florida and he now has years of experience) Even so, he wouldn't start at the bottom. Once licensed, an employer would place him according to his experience. To be honest, most doctors here don't seek "employment" but rather go into private practice, usually partnering with an existing clinic as an "associate."

Some doctors find employment without a license (thus negating the need to take the exam) by not practicing on live patients. They go into research, university teaching, or as a medical examiner (coroner) investigating cause of death.

Last edited:

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
It is a pain trying to find work doing something you like, I have 20 years voluntary experience working for the woodland trust, honours degree in conservation and woodland management (1st), chainsaw license, clearing saw and spraying tickets too, I could not even get an interview for anything related 3 years ago when I lost my last job, I had to resort to sending the wife out to work while I stay at home to look after our son.

I hear you mate. Im in the same line of work myself and Its not easy out there to find that kind of work. Just seems as though no one is prepared to pay for our time and hard work these days but instead rely soley on volenteers.
Been thinking of saying stuff it and going back into engineering... at least it pays.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
By the way, speaking Spanish is an asset in the US. Other's have already pointed out French is an asset in Canada.

dubc

Jan 19, 2013
Edinburgh
Happy to report I've been offered the window cleaning job in Calgary, Canada what a dream come true who could have guessed it someone like me getting offered something like this and the wages are very very good for a window cleaner tbh the job is a bonus which I'll throw my self into but just moving to Canada is amazing!! :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Happy to report I've been offered the window cleaning job in Calgary, Canada what a dream come true who could have guessed it someone like me getting offered something like this and the wages are very very good for a window cleaner tbh the job is a bonus which I'll throw my self into but just moving to Canada is amazing!! :)

Congratulations on the job :)

Out of curiosity is it industrial high rise window cleaning or what? I'm just surprised that they had to recruit abroad for the job.

dubc

Jan 19, 2013
Edinburgh
Congratulations on the job :)

Out of curiosity is it industrial high rise window cleaning or what? I'm just surprised that they had to recruit abroad for the job.

Thanks

I am sure it's a bit of everything the company is national and the women that interviewed me said she has a couple of different nationalities working there right now, there were 15 jobs in total I'm not sure if they are outsourcing all they 15 jobs but apparently Canada is booming with work and the economy is one of the strongest out there right now so I'm not surprised. The women said to me that if all goes well I can even try for permanent residency.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks

I am sure it's a bit of everything the company is national and the women that interviewed me said she had employed a couple of Filipinos and had two Jamaicans apply but she didn't employ them she said she has Irish and a chap from Edinburgh working there right now, there were 15 jobs in total I'm not sure if they are outsourcing all they 15 jobs but apparently Canada is booming with work and the economy is one of the strongest out there right now so I'm not surprised. The women said to me that if all goes well I can even try for permanent residency.

That is surprising, with us you would certainly NOT discuss the ethnicity of applicants, she would would in fact be joining the line up for work at the local job centre if she worked for the NHS and talked in that manner.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That is surprising, with us you would certainly NOT discuss the ethnicity of applicants, she would would in fact be joining the line up for work at the local job centre if she worked for the NHS and talked in that manner.

Surprising to me as well, for much the same reason.

Though in the high rise industries (window cleaning and construction) there does seem to be a higher percentage of Native Americans (Indians or First Nations) simply because more of them apply Supposedly due to a lower incidence of being apprehensive with hights.

dubc

Jan 19, 2013
Edinburgh

Post edited just incase she didn't give any out and out details she was only giving a rough idea of the people she had applying for the job.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I missed the wording but have you filled out any civil service form without being asked (not required) to self define your ethnicity!

Such questions (whether you're required to answer or not) are illegal here; I'm not certain, but I believe the same holds true in Canada.

At least on an actual job application, but I think I see where you're going. Such questions are asked on other forms/surveys (although as you said, you're not obligated to answer) so that the appropriate agencies can tabulate the diversity of the workforce and compliance with minority hiring.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
It's a very popular question on forms here since the civil service were required to monitor ethnicity and disability. Many recruitment firms (and forms) ask the question as it seems in "vogue". We cannot be required to submit the info.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
anyway. the important thing is - you seem to be able to get a job in canada if you were so inclined.

whats your timescale for departing?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's a very popular question on forms here since the civil service were required to monitor ethnicity and disability. Many recruitment firms (and forms) ask the question as it seems in "vogue". We cannot be required to submit the info.

Yeah, it was (actually still is) confusing here. The law prevents employers from asking the question, yet requires them to report the statistics.

Anyway, as 789987 said, congatulations to the OP on getting the job and best of luck in your new adventure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE