Job market

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dubc

Jan 19, 2013
Edinburgh
Hi folks I'm William from outside Edinburgh been lurking on the forum for a while absolutely love it! Unfortunately lost my job 4 months ago been applying for everything possible that I am able to do (applied for well over 100 jobs maybe over 200) but I hardly get replies back from any of them, now I know there must be lots of people applying for the jobs so they can't reply to everyone.

Anyone else in the same position? Or anyone know of any jobs around Edinburgh and East lothian areas?
Appreciate any suggestions and opinions on this.

Cheers William.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I know it's not a lot of help, but if you're a time served airframe fitter, BAe Systems are hiring at the moment.
It's for the Middle East though.

Dirty

Forager
Jun 21, 2012
Cornwall
I've been there, it's not nice, and looking for a job turns into a job that you don't get paid for. Best advice is to concentrate on one good job, and really shine application forms etc for it. You won't get it, but you can normally then just transfer all the skills and paperwork to the next one.
Don't forget temping, a lot of my friends got jobs by the back door through temp work of something they were skilled in.
Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
depending on what you want to do, but a good stop gap on the run up the christmas, argos and toy R us in Livingstone hire at this time through to Jan.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Definatley know what that is like, after uni I spent a small fortune on postage costs appling for jobs. out of 250 or so letters sent out only around 50 bothered replying [most of them were "well done you managed to write a letter - now go away"]. Did some voluntary/ unpaid/ work experience type work - but helped find people and get connections, ended up self-employed for awhile - not much money, no security, but great fun, and while young I could put up with it:) My current job = just happened to be in the right place at the right time [with a bit of fighting for it thrown in]...

Just gotta keep going..

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
What is it that you do? What kind of jobs have you been applying for?

Ditto! It is hard to provide any useful suggestions without more information.

One general observation though. If you are not getting any replies you need to look at your CV and covering letter. Your CV should be designed to get you to an interview and ideally you should have versions tailored to the jobs you are going for. Keep them focused, not too long and make sure that all of the really useful information is in the first half of the first page.The covering letter is also very important and again should be adjusted for each job application you make.

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
I would never be interested in looking at cvs or forms but if somebody knocks on the door and speaks face to face it means so much more.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I would never be interested in looking at cvs or forms but if somebody knocks on the door and speaks face to face it means so much more.

That almost certainly wouldn't work in my industry. For some jobs you won't get past the door without going through the CV screening first. The OP may be in a different sort of field. Hence the request for more information.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
That almost certainly wouldn't work in my industry. For some jobs you won't get past the door without going through the CV screening first. The OP may be in a different sort of field. Hence the request for more information.

If dubc is desparate for a job I don't think it is about being picky and choosy all I know is that work any sort work is out there if you go knocking on doors instead of sending off forms all the time

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
If dubc is desparate for a job I don't think it is about being picky and choosy all I know is that work any sort work is out there if you go knocking on doors instead of sending off forms all the time

You do both but you also make sure that what you do is effective.

Knock on doors where it makes sense to do so. Make sure that any letters and CVs you do send out do the job they need to.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

dubc

Jan 19, 2013
Edinburgh
I've only ever been a window cleaner only 21 years old. I tried to get a grant to start my own business but turns out there's no grants left so was told to go for princes trust and they would help me get a low interest loan but that's not possible because I have debt. I worked as a window cleaner since I was 16 not working is strange!!

I've been applying for everything temp jobs bar jobs cleaning jobs absolutely everything applied to college for rural skills and not heard anything back.

Cheers for the motivation and advice.

dubc

Jan 19, 2013
Edinburgh
Also I've been going to industrials estates asking for jobs aswell I'm just not qualified for anything having only done window cleaning I an quite a smart lad too just don't have any luck and if I do it's bad luck lol

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
Know the feeling. I look for work every year. I work in the leisure industry which is mostly seasonal. I used to a fixed job to go to each year but no more. I put up leaflets in my area advertising my skills and now do regular lawn and driveway clearing route. Just picking up leaf litter, clearing snow etc. Occasionally doing a bit of car cleaning or gardening too. Give it a go.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I used to live in the Lothians.

I'm going to try to stifle a rant here...

I've been unemployed for 2 years, despite being more than capable to do administration jobs. Do you have any idea how many jobs I've applied for? I've started applying for almost everything now. I got a reply from a gardening job. Someone said I was ideal for the job and that I should come and see the estate. I asked where the location was, which wasn't even on the job ad, and they haven't replied back in more than a week. I thought I'd actually had a job there.

Unbelievable. It's so tedious. The amount of times I've had to go to CV and job related courses even though I know it all already. I've even had JOB ADVISORS tell me that they've no idea why I haven't got a job yet.

... I'll stop now.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Get your BOSIET and MIST courses done at Survivex and get a job in the oil as a roustabout or a labourer. You could even start off as a kitchen hand, painter or cleaner and get your foot in the door. Then once your in, start looking at the crew and make friends with the bosses/ supervisors.

If you have any mechanical experience (ie you can fix your own car or you once adjusted the chain on your motorbike etc) then I could put you in touch with a company that would take you on as a labourer with a view to sending you off shore. Its a bit of a rubbish company but it gets you in the oil circles and meeting the right people. PM me if your interested.

The key with getting a job in the oil industry is to be proactive and to sell yourself. Oil managers like to have their arses kissed and you need to look like your hanging on their every word. works wonders every time. ;)

dubc

Jan 19, 2013
Edinburgh
learn a trade - start as a labourer with a small firm

I've tried, had my cscs card since I lost my job, applied for labouring jobs pretty much everything i could possibly do it just seems like every job I go for theres someone always better than me I can't get anything (the most promising job I may get offered is in Alberta, Canada window cleaning (and I'm from edinburgh) for a company. I've got a skype interview Friday, but before then I may need to make a big decision If I get offered the job in Canada do I go and leave everything I know behind or keep hunting for a job which I've been having no luck)

Any advice is welcome please everyone pitch in in this I know there's a lot more people in this forum that can give advice the knowledge that all the people hold in this forum if all were put together would rival any encyclopaedia.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Also I've been going to industrials estates asking for jobs aswell I'm just not qualified for anything having only done window cleaning I an quite a smart lad too just don't have any luck and if I do it's bad luck lol

I suggest you look at training for something that will hopefully qualify you for work in a different area.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE