Jews Ear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Here is one to get you thinking!

Both growing on the same elder branch!

Are they the same type of fungi?

Jellyear.jpg

And another one!

000_03841.jpg

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
The first picture is absolutely typical of Jelly ear, although that doesn't look very like elder. The bit on the left is just more mature than the group on the right. The second picture looks completely different.

You guys really should taste it raw if you are happy about the ID. It's great.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The first picture is absolutely typical of Jelly ear, although that doesn't look very like elder. The bit on the left is just more mature than the group on the right. The second picture looks completely different.

You guys really should taste it raw if you are happy about the ID. It's great.
:tapedshut :yuck:

Both the specimens have the velvety down that is characteristic of ear fungi. They really do feel like babies ears.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Does anyone know how it got the name Jews ear ? I mean it doesn't really look like any human beings ear unless there is something really wrong with you :)
I like to find out how things got their names its interesting.

Jew's ear fungus, the name from which it derives the "jew” part is in its scientific name Auricularia auricula-judae. The story is that Judas hung himself from an elder tree.

rabsyboy

May 26, 2007
Also, in less politically correct times, the middle ages I believe, all fungus was known as Jew meat.....

I might give it another go fried and sliced - not holding out for any taste sensations though!

Ideally i like wild food that tastes great without having to add huge amounts of flavouring to disguise the taste.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE