Jetboil musings/rambling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
I bought my JB 2nd hand and around the bottom of the vessel there has always been a rusty stain. I've come to believe that as the vessel appears to be titanium, the rust must come from putting the gas cylinders in the used, wet vessel. I've stopped this from happening by putting some electrical tape around the bottom of the gas cylinders. I wonder if anyone else gets these rust rings?

Do you get different boil times if you use 80/20 gas as opposed to 70/30? the JB 'requires' one of these, but I can only find the other...

Did you know that for a portion of readybrek, you can put two heaped spoons of powdered milk in with the dry mix, hence replacing the need for hot milk with a need for hot water? discovered this this morning as milko is late! so JB friendly brekkie :)

what sort of stuff are you guys cooking up in your JB?
I've so far not been too adventurous,:
  • noodles
  • soup (ainsley harriot ones are great)
  • couscous (again, Ainsleys flavoured variety)
  • dried milk & readybrek (honey flavoured packet is great)
  • instant coffee + sugar + coffeemate

I make the coffee / soup in a seperate insulated cup (only half the water needed boiling, then mix in and top up with cold water so I can get stuck in immediately - what's the point of boiling up more than you need only to wait til it cools down again???)

the more 'solid' stuff I do in the JB vessel direct.

so who's had more bottle than me and done some more adventurous cooking?

Last edited:

TrashCanMan

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2009
Basingstoke
I too have experienced the rusty ring problem. With the JetBoil I mean...

I get around this by placing a folded square of kitchen roll tissue in the bottom which serves 2 purposes. No more rusty ring and prevents the ever so slight rattle you get of the canister in the cup.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not much you can cook in a Jet Boil really other than the ideas you gave, the stove is really only a water boiler. I have been packing dried milk for my instant oates for a few years now as have others here, good system; do the same with instant coffee.

BushSleeper

Dec 4, 2008
Devon
I emailed Jetboil a couple of years ago to find out what they are made off, the reply was Hard Anodised aluminium not titanium.

I too had rust stains from the gas canistor, a circle of plastic foam did the trick (and stopped the rattles).

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
Glad to see others have rusty rings too, if you know what I mean!

Interesting to see your solutions too.

So the readybrek trick isn't new then, typical. I invented the 'banana guard' btw, then my mum bought me one for christmas just to prove that they already existed :/

TrashCanMan

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2009
Basingstoke
I think it was the official jetboil website that had recipe links.

With a bit of imagination, you can cook quite a lot in them.

I've done popcorn with a little oil in the bottom - :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE