Jetboil - Is it worth the money?

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Its my birthday saturday and ive asked the misses to get me a jetboil (saphire colour)

BUT...looking at it, is it really worth all that money? Thoughts appreciated :)

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Played with my brothers (giggedy) - for boiling water or food that requires boiling water in (noodles/rice), can't fault it - it's damn quick at what its designed to do. Versatile? Not really - no way to simmer just BBBBBBBBOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!
Think some stoves are probably lighter too.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
How much have you seen it for.

Lurch has just put some up for sale and there is a sapphire one in with them.
As for are they worth it i think so but then i have just ordered my third.
They do one called the Zip which is slightly smaller in the cup but just as good, although it doesnt have an ignitor.
Mine is just big enough to hold two good cups of water or one cup and a ration pack meal.

Get it and im sure you wont be dissapointed. In fact i have gone back to using mine as it packs so well.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Looking at your pic, it reminds me that it could be usefull for fishing when im out. Not a bad idea actually.

Looking on ebay and amazon, they are around the £60-£70 mark. Reccomend anywhere cheaper?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'd be forever worried about not being able to find gas refills. They're very efficient, so apart from things like Kelly kettles I think they're hard to beat for fast, lightweight boiling water.

On the other hand the fuel seems expensive. Really, really expensive. I just did a quick check and I reckon about 20 times the price of road fuel. Is that about right or should I shop elsewhere?

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
From what's already been posted on these pages it seems they're probably worth it from a gram-weenie point of view. Otherwise it is doubtful.

Jan 17, 2012
Appleby
Great for boiling rat packs and making quick brews I love mine
But I do seem to collect stoves (trangia,bush buddy,whisper light,supernova,hobo stove,) and hexie block

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They are a very good water boiler.

Lurch is selling new ones for £60, he's a top man and you'll be playing with you stove in no time.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
I know, im a bit of a fussy git I only want the blue one. I think ill get one (or the misses can) . Cheers for the reply boys

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Seen a couple of youtube reviews now, they boil pretty quick tho dont they as apose to the 7 minutes ive seen on other stoves. cuppa tea in no time! so whats the best way to cook food with them then?

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Up to you really. I use a lot of rations as there easy to pack and could be eaten cold. Your other option is to get some pour and store bags a pack your own. You could just dump everything in the pot but would need cleaning afterwards.

As an option you could get the pot stand which would allow you to use any pot/pan on the burner which is way cheaper than buying the jetboil pans. Just one thing,when you put everything away make sure the pot is dry or the gascan could cause rust in the base.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Okay thanks Jonny, and moving onto my next question.....whos the fastest delivery? She can only buy one on the 31st and I need it before the 3rd Feb (Brecon Meet)

Depends, If the boiling speed is something that you care deeply about then Yes
If weight is something that you care deeply about then maybe they are far from the lightest stoves, but they are not the Heaviest either.
If the cost of fuel is something that you care deeply about then No
If ease of use is something that you care deeply about then yes
If cost is something that you care deeply about then No
If pack size is something that you care deeply about then Yes

Now then that should be as clear as mud now lol

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
I got a Jetboil Sol Ti before my walk this weekend and I have to say it's a great bit of kit. I wasn't too keen on them before but now I own one I will be using it all the time.
As for stuff sticking I can believe it, not tried myself but I did do some rice in it and it simmered really well for that. I'll only ever be boiling water for brews, dehydrated meals or boil in the bag meals so not being able to do things like eggs and bacon won't be a problem.

The Jetboil website quotes 12 litres per 100g gas canister, not used that much so I can't comment on that. I have heard that if you wind it back 0.5-1 turns from full power it doesn't affect the boil time but saves fuel, it certainly doesn't affect the boil time by much if anything in my experience. One morning it was even -12C which is lower than it's rated specs and it worked fine with jetboil 4 season gas that was left outside of my tent overnight.

I'll be leaving my wood burner, meths and multifuel stoves at home 80% of the time now I think.

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I got a Jetboil Sol Ti before my walk this weekend and I have to say it's a great bit of kit. I wasn't too keen on them before but now I own one I will be using it all the time.
As for stuff sticking I can believe it, not tried myself but I did do some rice in it and it simmered really well for that. I'll only ever be boiling water for brews, dehydrated meals or boil in the bag meals so not being able to do things like eggs and bacon won't be a problem.

The Jetboil website quotes 12 litres per 100g gas canister, not used that much so I can't comment on that. I have heard that if you wind it back 0.5-1 from full power it doesn't affect the boil time but saves fuel, it certainly doesn't affect the boil time by much if anything in my experience. One morning it was even -12C which is lower than it's rated specs and it worked fine with jetboil 4 season gas that was left outside of my tent overnight.

I'll be leaving my wood burner, meths and multifuel stoves at home 80% of the time now I think.

I agree with what has been said here especially the last comment. The Bushcraft Store stock the tri mix gas so if your going to use it in low temp i would suggest trying some.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I love my original version, its a great bit of kit. I use it as a kettle and mug dont think I would like to cook much in it though.

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE