"Jar heads" question...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I saw part of the Jar head film last night, crazy scary stuff. especially with the black oil sky etc.

but i was wondering, when they rested they literally dug a hole to lie in.
like this:
taiwanbunk04edit.jpg

(BTW this is'nt a US soldier)
is this normal for the US Army ? or just a Marine thing?

just wondered as I had TA training and was taught to make a "shell scrape" like this:
CFSG%20Shellscrape.jpg
(Hm:rolleyes: i don't remember women in my shell scrape)
,a double bed size depression with a raised edge and roof, i would have though it would be a more economical safer design you can shoot in any direction and 2 or more people can use it in an emergency and with a tarp added you can get into shade etc

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
the yanks call em "Fox Holes" started in the desert in ww2, they cut little slit trenches that they could sleep in as there was little or no cover around them.
ever since they dig em when they stop and sleep in em the term fox hole came out during ww2 and it stuck.
sleep in a fox hole your mostly safe from arty and your reasonably concealed and have the ability to fight from cover.
i believe the modern us military now call them "Defensive Fighting Positions" but you get the gist.
if you've ever seen the episode of band of brothers where they're holding the ardennes forrest, that will show you why foxholes are so important ;)

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Nowt wrong with a shell scrape, dig it in, stick your basha up and voila, a cosy semi-protective sleep/eat/crap/shoot area.

I still do it sometimes when i go out on a jaunt and ground dwelling.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE