Japanese water stone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Hi Guys

I've finally plucked up the courage to cut my combination stone in half for portability's sake.

Question is - what to cut it with? There is a small red demon on my right shoulder whispering "angle grinder"... I'm doing my best to ignore him as I fear I may end up with a Japanese jigsaw.

Comments please... (preferably about cutting up the stone, not about hearing voices! :D )

Chris

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
A hacksaw will make the neatest cut and as you will completely ruin the teeth, it won't cost you much when you throw it away.

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Thanks Greg

to be honest, that was what I was thinking, just wasn't sure how friable the stone was. Didn't want to end up with to piles of different coloured grit :D

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
A hacksaw is the tool. But I think you are quite mad! :D

I know some people swear by this half brick idea, but even for a week away you really don't need much more than a sheet of wet and dry and a flat honing surface. There are so many LIGHT weight sharpeners out there, and so many small pocket stones, even ready sized India stones and Japanese slipstones that I cannot imagine why anyone would really want to ruin a nice big bench stone :eek: :rolleyes:

I have a 1000grit bench stone and it does not wear down that fast. I really wouldn't fancy hauling it around the wilds for occasional touch ups, just not worth it for long weekends, or even a week's camping.

my 2p :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE