Japanese Pruning Saw's

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I have a Japanese wood pull-saw for fine and detailed work. But, yesterday I had a tree surgeon over to deal with a tree belonging to the neighbouring farmer and he had a jap pruning saw. Absolutely amazing at going thru branches, 30cm blade and it needed two pulls to get thru 3 inches of poplar in less than 2 seconds. I had a couple of goes with it and unpracticed as I am with the tool it worked an absolute treat.

I had a quick google to check on prices, they are a tad dear but well worth the dosh in relation to a cheaper saw for dealing with green wood......I am going to get myself one.

The downside was paying the tree surgeon for his visit, the upside is I now also have a nice pile of poplar to make base boards for bow and drill.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
A neighbour was raving about these recently and also managed to get one from B&Q for less than a tenner. Will have to give one a try :)

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
I was a tree surgeon and my hands and fingers will testify to how sharp these little babies are.

Excellent tools with one of the most well known makes being Silky turbo-cut. These professional quality saws will be far sharper and of superior quality to anything you would buy in B&Q hence the £30 odd price tag.

I have two in the house and they make cheaper saws look like butter knives.

Get one but mine the fingers.

Cheers

Andy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Another vote in favour here. I've got one of these that has replaceable blades and it is an excellent tool.....lightweight in my pack too :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I use a silky for both tree work and bushcraft - they're fantastic. Like Andy B said though watch your fingers - a mate of mine severed the tendons across the back of his hand with one.:eek:

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've an Oyakata, I didn't realise how large it was when I ordered it but I't's a superb bit of kit.
I don't suppose anyone knows who stocks them, as I need a new blade. I got mine from Axminster, but they don't carry them anymore.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Yeh I will vote for Silky's i use them at work they are the dogs, I particulary like the Zubat its a curved saw ,very good cut. Again caution they are very sharp even our tree officer cut his hand.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I checked out the B&Q saws yesterday, while buying paint. They are not as good as the Japanese saw that I had a go with........the quality and general appearance does not look as good as the real Japanese ones. To be honest the Japanese ones had that 'Whooa' factor of a good tool.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Carona also make good saws, they are a japanese blade, I think. theey are cheaper than silkys and are a good saw.

Simon.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Yep the ones we used to use were fixed blade wooden handled caronas.Then we moved on to pneumatic secateurs........very scary.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have to say I swore by my Laplander until I bought a (worryingly named) "Silky Pocket Boy". It is a fantastic saw and fits in a pocket without problem. I would love a large Silky too, but, to be honest, between the pocket boy and a take down Bucksaw, can't really justify another saw. They aren't like axes - theres ALWAYS room for another axe!

Red

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I used to prune orchards commercially and there is a lot to be said for a good saw and secateurs. I raised a few eyebrows on here when I suggested that kukris and machetes were a bit 'macho' and that a good saw does a fast efficient job.
I use a folding Gerber at the moment but check this link, these are very good

http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/hand-tools/corona-pruning-saws/showitem-TL-30.aspx

I think one of the problems here is the axe centric viewpoint. I still do not own an axe, and am waiting for an answer to the question of why to buy one. My billhook, and bow saw can do the same things, most times with less effort.

One thing I will say, if you get the chance to use a real Kuri, do. They are an amazing tool.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
plus, are more or less teeth per inch better? i imagine they have their own particular strengths and weaknesses

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, I've got both, and to be honest I reckon my laplander is pretty bombproof, and while the Japanese saw is excellent, I'm always slightly wary on coarse stuff because the blade bends. I've been using both today and thinking about it I make more use of the laplander. I have a longer handled Japanese saw I use in the workshop but it's too long to be bothered carrying in my pack.
Horses for courses, I reckon, with a big dose of personal choice.

I too prefer a billhook, saw and good pruners to carrying an axe for most things.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE