Japanese Digging knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Seem to think they have at axminster tools

Not sure about them but my shiney kit syndrome may get the better of me!

Any one got one?

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Glad to see Axmin do one too not only cheaper but better on postage to, £6.95 on the other site. I just thought how well designed it looked for many bush tasks some of which involve a cutting edge but might ruin a good knife.
Dave.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aaah, now that looks like a good thing :D
Has anyone actually used one though? Just how good is the handle to use? I hate blistered hands :(

Cheers,
Toddy

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Toddy said:
Aaah, now that looks like a good thing :D
Has anyone actually used one though? Just how good is the handle to use? I hate blistered hands :(

Cheers,
Toddy

could always wrap it with vulcanising tape - nice soft cusioned handle then

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Looking at the shape and size of the handle on the dearer one from dick tools that looks like it might fit a smaller ladies hand better. Having big hands I would go for the straighter handled one myself and possibly rehandle or ajust as Bardster suggested.
Dave.

ssj

Forager
Jan 7, 2004
Colorado, USA
I've used one like is shown in the Axeminster catalog for some time for my work-sampling soils. They are very durable, not too bad on the hands, but very heavy. I could never find a trowel that I couldn't bend fairly easily but this one is built to last. It appears that the difference between the two mentioned in the catalogs is that the one from Manufactum is stainless, the other is not. I'd be glad to answer any specific questions.
Steve

The only advantage that this tool would have over a trowel is durability. The serrated edge is not really sharp enough to use effectively.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks ssj.
If that's the case it's not worth my while. I've been using the same archaeologists' trowel now for 8 years and it's still going strong :D It has gotten littler though :rolleyes: Haven't ever managed to bend it.....actually, come to think of it, I've never seen a bent whs trowel.
Jon? who else is a builder/brickie? Has anyone seen a bent one? It's a d#mn good tool. Small, comfortable to use, digs holes, peels bark, tidies up fires, takes an edge when necessary.....quite neat at the old excavating too :D

Cheers,
Toddy

It seems I'm not the only one who likes them :D
http://www.shef.ac.uk/assem/2/2trowel2.html

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/S/J1114.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE