Jam??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nick93

Dec 27, 2009
Devon, England
Hi, just got back from a walk in the woods with a small bag of sloes. Im planing to make jam with them and some apples from the tree in our garden. Last time I made jam it didnt set fully so I was wondering if you can add gelatin to make it set??
Thanks, Nick

BunnyMazonas

Sep 13, 2010
Kent
Ordinary sugar isn't enough. Jams only set if the fruit used in htme has enough pectin, and I'm pretty sure most eating apples these days don't have enough. You can get adde3d-pectin sugar, and also pectin as an additive in a bottle as well, if you can't find the right fruits.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
or you can boil the jam down a bit more to reduce the water content so it is thicker, i do this from time to time with no ill effect.......

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
yep, i would mix some other fruit in with them as they are quite sour.

try blueberry and sloe that would be different and bet it would taste awesome......mmmmmmmm

Nick93

Dec 27, 2009
Devon, England
I made the jam and its very nice. I used 400g of sloes and 500g of cooking apples, I cooked this with a little water and then pushed the reddy purple sludge through a sieve. I put this back on the heat and added about 450g of sugar. When this had dissolved I took it off the heat and added the gelatin. This didn't really set the jam but it did turn it a bright pink colour! This makes about 2 1/2 jars of jam. Its very nice and has a nice sloe taste. I had it on toast this morning :) Its worth making.

Nick93

Dec 27, 2009
Devon, England
IMG_2251.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE